1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

New dishwasher. Do things ever go right?

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by blacktail, Feb 25, 2013.

1. blacktail

blacktail Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western WA
    I was given a relatively new dishwasher last week. I'd never replaced one before, but was told it's pretty easy. After doing it, it's not bad and shoulda been a lot easier.
    I pulled the old unit and realized the fittings on the new one wouldn't match with the plumbing in my house. A two hour trip to town and visits to multiple hardware stores got me an adapter. Got the adapter home and it wouldn't thread on. By that time, the guy across the road was home. He runs a plumbing business. :)
    He sent me home with a fist full of parts that did the trick.
    After running the dishwasher a couple of times, it produced a few drips on the left side. So I pulled it out again this morning and found that steam is coming out of the side of the frame at the water inlet at two different times during the cycle.
    My old dishwasher was the original from when the house was built in 1990. It was ugly, it was loud, and the hinges were about shot. But it never leaked.
    This new, free appliance is becoming a pain in the arse.
    ScotO likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. heat seeker

heat seeker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CT
    Sometimes free things aren't worth the trouble. They're free for a reason...
    The area where the steam is escaping could be a water gap to prevent water from siphoning back to the supply line. It might be "normal", although there shouldn't be any drippage.
  3. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I put a new dishwasher in our newly remodeled kitchen and spent the extra jingle on the stainless steel braided supply line a couple years back.....as this story goes on, keep in mind we have real white oak hardwood flooring in our house....including the kitchen.

Well after almost two years of using this dishwasher, I'm in the basement doing some odds and ends (unfinished basement used for utilities/storage). Not sure what prompted me to look up but I did look up (right where the dishwasher was located above) and there was wet boards, and white fungus, growing on the subfloor! Pulled out the dishwasher and that damm stainless line was the culprit. The seals on the line were JUNK. The rubber for the seals was shot. The oak hardwood floor under the washer was warped and looked like hell. It had obviously been leaking for some time...who knows how long but long enough.

Replaced that line again, and have diligently watched it since then (has been two more years)......so far so good.

Anyway, just because it's new or like new don't mean it ain't defective. That "free" dishwasher must've pizzed the previous owner off enough that he "gave" it away......
  4. blacktail

blacktail Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western WA
    I don't need to hear horror stories like that. At least not now ;lol
    Friend of a friend inherited a house and wanted all stainless appliances as part of a kitchen remodel, so this dishwasher was up for grabs.
    ScotO likes this.
  5. save$

save$ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chelsea Maine
    I bought a new stainless kitchen aid dishwasher. Kept it two years. Nothing but headaches. Put in the one listed on consumer reports that is a kenmore model. This one is always getting clogged. My next one will have an easy clean catch basin. For now I'll continue to stand on my head while I attempt to keep the trap clean.
  6. Butcher

Butcher Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N. central Ia.
    I brought home a new dish washer years ago when I was runnin wild. My wife punched me right in the teeth and told the new dishwasher to hit the bricks. I think she found a job at WalMart scrubbin floors.;lol
    mithesaint, blacktail and heat seeker like this.
  7. save$

save$ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chelsea Maine
    So why did the bride ware white? So the dishwasher would match the stove and refrigerator!
    blacktail, heat seeker and ScotO like this.
  8. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I'd tell my wife this but I'd end up getting punched in the throat!!!!!::P
  9. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    Same reason you don't need to buy your bride a watch..... there's a clock on the oven.
  10. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    and why womens' feet are smaller than mens....
  11. milleo

milleo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Maine
    Lol.....You guys are to funny.....>> ;)
  12. Gary_602z

Gary_602z Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Odessa,MI
    Heck my wife wanted something that would go from 0 -200 in under 6 seconds. I bought her a set of bathroom scales.:)

Gary
    Eatonpcat likes this.
  13. heat seeker

Loc:
    Northern CT
    And that's when the fight began...
    SmokeyTheBear likes this.
  14. gmule

gmule Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Conifer Colorado
    So they can stand closer to the sink ;lol
  15. save$

save$ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chelsea Maine
    Do you know why woman"s minds are "cleaner" than men's? Because they change them so often!:confused:
    gmule likes this.
  16. gmule

gmule Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Conifer Colorado
    Why do women rub their eyes when they wake up in the morning?
  17. heat seeker

Loc:
    Northern CT
    Because they don't have b*lls to scratch.
  18. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
  19. Defiant

Defiant Vermont Castings Geek

Loc:
    Old Lyme CT
    My local hardware store loves when I do some plumbing, it used to take at least 10 trips to get the right fittings. Now they give me many and I can return what I do not use:p
    PA Fire Bug likes this.
  20. heat seeker

Loc:
    Northern CT
    Yeah, I learned that idea a while back. I buy parts I even think I might even remotely need, and return what I don't use. Makes like easier for everyone, the store doesn't mind. Sometimes I'll keep the extras for spares.
  21. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    You know how to turn and old dishwasher into a snow thrower? Buy her a shovel.
  22. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Living dangerously I see.