New dishwasher. Do things ever go right?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blacktail

Minister of Fire
Sep 18, 2011
Western WA
I was given a relatively new dishwasher last week. I'd never replaced one before, but was told it's pretty easy. After doing it, it's not bad and shoulda been a lot easier.
I pulled the old unit and realized the fittings on the new one wouldn't match with the plumbing in my house. A two hour trip to town and visits to multiple hardware stores got me an adapter. Got the adapter home and it wouldn't thread on. By that time, the guy across the road was home. He runs a plumbing business. :)
He sent me home with a fist full of parts that did the trick.
After running the dishwasher a couple of times, it produced a few drips on the left side. So I pulled it out again this morning and found that steam is coming out of the side of the frame at the water inlet at two different times during the cycle.
My old dishwasher was the original from when the house was built in 1990. It was ugly, it was loud, and the hinges were about shot. But it never leaked.
This new, free appliance is becoming a pain in the arse.

Reactions: ScotO
Sometimes free things aren't worth the trouble. They're free for a reason...
The area where the steam is escaping could be a water gap to prevent water from siphoning back to the supply line. It might be "normal", although there shouldn't be any drippage.

I put a new dishwasher in our newly remodeled kitchen and spent the extra jingle on the stainless steel braided supply line a couple years back.....as this story goes on, keep in mind we have real white oak hardwood flooring in our house....including the kitchen.

Well after almost two years of using this dishwasher, I'm in the basement doing some odds and ends (unfinished basement used for utilities/storage). Not sure what prompted me to look up but I did look up (right where the dishwasher was located above) and there was wet boards, and white fungus, growing on the subfloor! Pulled out the dishwasher and that damm stainless line was the culprit. The seals on the line were JUNK. The rubber for the seals was shot. The oak hardwood floor under the washer was warped and looked like hell. It had obviously been leaking for some time...who knows how long but long enough.

Replaced that line again, and have diligently watched it since then (has been two more years)......so far so good.

Anyway, just because it's new or like new don't mean it ain't defective. That "free" dishwasher must've pizzed the previous owner off enough that he "gave" it away......

I don't need to hear horror stories like that. At least not now ;lol
Friend of a friend inherited a house and wanted all stainless appliances as part of a kitchen remodel, so this dishwasher was up for grabs.

Reactions: ScotO
I bought a new stainless kitchen aid dishwasher. Kept it two years. Nothing but headaches. Put in the one listed on consumer reports that is a kenmore model. This one is always getting clogged. My next one will have an easy clean catch basin. For now I'll continue to stand on my head while I attempt to keep the trap clean.

I brought home a new dish washer years ago when I was runnin wild. My wife punched me right in the teeth and told the new dishwasher to hit the bricks. I think she found a job at WalMart scrubbin floors.;lol

So why did the bride ware white? So the dishwasher would match the stove and refrigerator!

Same reason you don't need to buy your bride a watch..... there's a clock on the oven.

and why womens' feet are smaller than mens....

Lol.....You guys are to funny.....>> ;)

Do you know why woman"s minds are "cleaner" than men's? Because they change them so often!:confused:

Reactions: gmule
Why do women rub their eyes when they wake up in the morning?

My local hardware store loves when I do some plumbing, it used to take at least 10 trips to get the right fittings. Now they give me many and I can return what I do not use:p

Reactions: PA Fire Bug
My local hardware store loves when I do some plumbing, it used to take at least 10 trips to get the right fittings. Now they give me many and I can return what I do not use:p

Yeah, I learned that idea a while back. I buy parts I even think I might even remotely need, and return what I don't use. Makes like easier for everyone, the store doesn't mind. Sometimes I'll keep the extras for spares.

Status
Not open for further replies.