New double wall stove pipe Ain't Cheap!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Went to the stove store & bought some double wall pipe. $400 worth. :bug: OMG
2 -- 45° at $89 each
Adjustable length straight $91
Close adapter to metal bestos$55
, stove spool $57
& some fluff covers $26
Also he said: "I should have a few degrees down angle to the stove on the metalbestos that comes into the house &
with a concrete wall behind the rock, I can move the stove till it almost touches the fans" had to to
make what he set me up with fit 1-1/2" clearance on the fan housing.
So I raised the stack 1-3/8", (not an easy chore by the way) so the angle is down 1/16+/- of a bubble.
While I was up there, clean the pipe, less than an inch in a 5 gallon bucket. more on the cap than in the pipe.
Running on lower setting now than I could before, so we'll see if it burns cooler now with no problems.
Critic it please.
Anyway old (1st pic) VS new pipe (3) pics ( in low mode in pics, did run hot & open wood door to burn off the smell)

Attachments

• 100_5510.jpg
    100_5510.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 831
  • 100_6070.jpg
    100_6070.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 1,356
  • 100_6072.jpg
    100_6072.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 789
  • 100_6071.jpg
    100_6071.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 782
Looks good Dave, that stuff is spendy even if you're not in AK. Your experience now being able to burn lower is more good anecdotal evidence of why BK makes the recommendations they do in the manual and why folks that don't heed it have some of the issues we have seen reported.

Incidentally, I have the same cap experience especially in a cold wind. Little to nothing in the pipe.

lol. Not cheap at all.

My stove to chimney is about 55".
Cost a little under $370 for 6" doublewall.

Much better install in my opinion. Heres what we retail that stuff for in NY:
45 deg $68
Adjust $ 69
Stove adapter $55.

A little cheaper, maybe but still in the ball park. You did good supporting your local dealer.

That should draft better. The dealer is correct. There should be a slight uphill pitch to the metalbestos thimble that connects to the tee. It should have a minimum of 1/4" to the foot incline uphill toward the tee side.

Question on the clearances. What is behind the stone veneer? Is it a concrete wall or a wood stud wall?

BeGreen said:
That should draft better. The dealer is correct. There should be a slight uphill pitch to the metalbestos thimble that connects to the tee. It should have a minimum of 1/4" to the foot incline uphill toward the tee side.

Question on the clearances. What is behind the stone veneer? Is it a concrete wall or a wood stud wall?

8" concrete block. Footers here are 4' to 5' deep. Basement is what would be a crawl space. Tri-level home built on a ranch foundation gave us an
8' crawl space on 1/2 of the foundation. I leveled the dirt floor, & poured 4" of concrete. Plan to someday stud & sheet rock it. As long as it
is un-finished,I'm not taxed on additional sq feet of house.
So I guess now a 4 level home. (tri-level with a basement.)

bogydave said:
BeGreen said:

8" concrete block. Footers here are 4' to 5' deep. Basement is what would be a crawl space. Tri-level home built on a ranch foundation gave us an
8' crawl space on 1/2 of the foundation. I leveled the dirt floor, & poured 4" of concrete. Plan to someday stud & sheet rock it. As long as it

What's your other stove? Surely you aren't heating 4 levels from the basement in AK, or are you?

Dave I hope this solves the problem. It looks good.

looks like over-kill to me, but every bit of improvement helps and it's tough to argue with what works and hope this does

looks nice, too.

bogydave said:
BeGreen said:

No worries mate. Hope the rest of the season is warm and smokeless.

lukem said:
bogydave said:
BeGreen said:

What's your other stove? Surely you aren't heating 4 levels from the basement in AK, or are you?

Didn't know I couldn't.
Other stove? (no other stove) A NG furnace, forced air. Hasn't run this winter except when away for a few days.
Has been working. Furnace fan is set to "circulate". Every 30 min it (the fan) runs for 5 minutes.
Our bedroom sometimes we have to crack a window, when it gets above 70.

PapaDave said:
Good job, Dave.
Stove spool? Fluff covers?
Hope this is a long term solution for you. I thought the 22 g single wall was expensive. :ahhh:

Covers for the metalbestos adapter interface. Covers the connection & makes it double wall
& looks nice , all black.

Those BK'S can sure heat eh?

bogydave said:
lukem said:
bogydave said:
BeGreen said:

Didn't know I couldn't.
Other stove? (no other stove) A NG furnace, forced air. Hasn't run this winter except when away for a few days.
Has been working. Furnace fan is set to "circulate". Every 30 min it (the fan) runs for 5 minutes.
Our bedroom sometimes we have to crack a window, when it gets above 70.

That was kinda tounge-in-cheek. That's a tall order but the BKK has it covered. Your house must be pretty tight too. Good on ya Dave for getting the job done, and done right.

Status
Not open for further replies.