New DR Splitter coming

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike Wilson said:
More to follow... once the rains end. I have about a cord and a half in the pile to split.

-- Mike

Mike

Hows the splitter??

eernest4 said:
I can only tell you of my experience with my 2 hp 4 ton electric LIMB SPLITTER.
They, the retailers, call it a log splitter but it cant even split big quarters. I will be very suprised if you dont
end up shaving 2 inch slices off, sliced from the outside in , until you get the diameter down to 6 inches , so that the machine can actually split whats left after 20 minutes of shaving down the log.

Yea,it gets the job done, in 4 to 7 times the time and with 4 to 7 times the effort, of a 20 ton.

And your not even saving any money on gasoline because the electric costs more when you have 2 opperate 7 times longer because of being forced to slice off little 2in slivers because the machine jams when you try to split thru the middle.

The motor just hums and the ram dont move. With 6 inch or smaller, it runs right through the limb.

Nearly Easier than splitting with a sledge hammer and maul, almost.

Maybe I just got a bumb machine, but I don't think its defective. I did manage to split 3 cords with it in nearly 2 years, but I have 4 cords laying around and starting to rot that are too
big for it to even shave on.

LIKE I SAID___ a GOOD LIMB SPLITTER.

WISH IT WAS NOT SO WIMPY.

the 97 pound weakling of log splitters.

good to make kindling from 1/8ths.

I should mention that mine is a 2005 Quality Craft LTD, van couver bc imported from china
from 1 year before any of the ones you speak of were first offered for sale in the us.

So maybe there has been so improvement in power over mine.
I paid 475.00 and 90.oo ship=565.oo
I feel like I been violated or something.

i don't know... mine seems fine after 5 cords of this stuff

pretty big limbs ;)

Attachments

• wood006.jpg
    wood006.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 404
So its been raining at Mikes for over a month and a half now.
Send some my way : )

I can only tell you of my experience with my 2 hp 4 ton electric LIMB SPLITTER.
They, the retailers, call it a log splitter but it cant even split big quarters. I will be very suprised if you dont
end up shaving 2 inch slices off, sliced from the outside in , until you get the diameter down to 6 inches , so that the machine can actually split whats left after 20 minutes of shaving down the log.

Yea,it gets the job done, in 4 to 7 times the time and with 4 to 7 times the effort, of a 20 ton.

And your not even saving any money on gasoline because the electric costs more when you have 2 opperate 7 times longer because of being forced to slice off little 2in slivers because the machine jams when you try to split thru the middle.

The motor just hums and the ram dont move. With 6 inch or smaller, it runs right through the limb.

Nearly Easier than splitting with a sledge hammer and maul, almost.

Maybe I just got a bumb machine, but I don’t think its defective. I did manage to split 3 cords with it in nearly 2 years, but I have 4 cords laying around and starting to rot that are too
big for it to even shave on.

LIKE I SAID___ a GOOD LIMB SPLITTER.

WISH IT WAS NOT SO WIMPY.

the 97 pound weakling of log splitters.

good to make kindling from 1/8ths.

I should mention that mine is a 2005 Quality Craft LTD, van couver bc imported from china
from 1 year before any of the ones you speak of were first offered for sale in the us.

So maybe there has been so improvement in power over mine.
I paid 475.00 and 90.oo ship=565.oo
I feel like I been violated or something.

The problem could be your induction motor does not have high breakdown torque of a REAL 2 or 3 HP motor. This could be because it's really a 3/4 horsepower and they rated it by the peak it can dish out when under heavy load. Induction motors are generally rated as continuous horsepower, even though they can develop 2 to 3 times the nameplate value when under a heavy load. Some air compressor manufacturers will use the peak rating which makes it "seem better", but the motor manufacturer cannot legally rate the motors at their peak, or NEMA will be all other them in a heart beat. If you look for a sticker on the motor's frame, then you should find the real motor's rating. If it's made in china then its most likely not what it says it is. China does not care about NEMA standards.

I say replace your motor with either of the following motor name brands:

GE
Baldor
Leeson
Marathon
Westinghouse
Lincoln
A.O. Smith

If you tell me your motor frame type and how it's mounted then I can direct you to where to buy the appropriate induction motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.