New DroletI Pellet Stove Installation Startup problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

b_bigsid

Sep 26, 2010
Western BC
I recently installed a Drolet ECO-35 replacing an older pellet stove. The venting was all per spec using Selkirk Pipe.
In error, I prefilled the burn pot and then pressed the start option.
In a couple of miniutes, the stove filled with smoke and started to spill through the door gasket and the pellets did ignite, however the smoke kept getting worse and did not exhaust throught the chimney pipes ( The chimney was originally checked and is not blocked) The room filled with smoke and I immediately switched off the power, and then opened the door and squirted a waters pray on the burn pot and extinguished the burning pellets. Luckily, I had a smke mask and was able to open some doors and windows. Came close to calling 911.
I also found that there was a fine film of creosote over all the inside stove surfaces and also some had run down the outside glass of the door. At this point, the question I ask is, did the smke form this fast because I had prefilled the burn pot in error and if I start it up again and let the burn pot fill automatically, could the same thing happen again. Was this condition caused due to my prefilling. ( My old pellet stove burn pot had to be filled manually and ignited manually and that is the reason I prefilled.(Old habits die hard)
Some comments sure would be appreciated.
Than you,
Stewart

You want to ask this question in this forum The Pellet Mill and Corn Crib, you will get help.

zap

b_bigsid said:
I recently installed a Drolet ECO-35 replacing an older pellet stove. The venting was all per spec using Selkirk Pipe.
In error, I prefilled the burn pot and then pressed the start option.
In a couple of miniutes, the stove filled with smoke and started to spill through the door gasket and the pellets did ignite, however the smoke kept getting worse and did not exhaust throught the chimney pipes ( The chimney was originally checked and is not blocked) The room filled with smoke and I immediately switched off the power, and then opened the door and squirted a waters pray on the burn pot and extinguished the burning pellets. Luckily, I had a smke mask and was able to open some doors and windows. Came close to calling 911.
I also found that there was a fine film of creosote over all the inside stove surfaces and also some had run down the outside glass of the door. At this point, the question I ask is, did the smke form this fast because I had prefilled the burn pot in error and if I start it up again and let the burn pot fill automatically, could the same thing happen again. Was this condition caused due to my prefilling. ( My old pellet stove burn pot had to be filled manually and ignited manually and that is the reason I prefilled.(Old habits die hard)
Some comments sure would be appreciated.
Than you,
Stewart
a little late but to help others

No you don't pre fill the burn pot on these models

if it is the first fill you need to hold the auger button until you hear pellets start dropping into the burn pot then release the button

use the mode switch to select manual or thermostat mode, then select your feed level, (start at 2 or 3 and adjust higher or lower if you need more heat or if its cycling a lot lower the setting),

the burn pot should start to fill & ignite, you should have heat in 3 to 5 minutes when the convection blowers turn on.

to turn off set the mode switch to off & fire will burn out wait for all blowers to stop 10-20 minutes depending how hot the stove is before opening the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.