New Duravent Install w/Pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LI-Mini-Owner

Nov 22, 2007
Long Island, NY
We swapped out our asbestos shingles for vinyl siding a few weeks ago, and decided to change out the thimble/vent. Went with DuraVent Pellet Vent Pro, primarily to get integrated OAK and vent in the thimble.

Installation was straight forward. The only issue was with a "plastic-like" burning smell for several days that I posted about in another thread.

pellet-vent1.jpgpellet-vent2.jpgpellet-vent3.jpg

Just curious....why didn't you put the thimble so the OAK port was in line w/ the air inlet on the stove? Looks like it would have been a direct shot straight out.

Otherwise, the install looks good.

I have the same DuraVent Thimble with OAK, but the 4 inch version. I had no "burning plastic" smell issue. I mounted mine the other-way, with the OAK intake on lower left corner (as viewed from outside the house).

Good observation about the routing of the OAK. Either a stud or the Sole Plate prevented orienting the OAK at either of the lower corners. As a side note, I have not bought copper fittings in a while. That 2" Street Ell was $18.

I installed my own OAK years ago, I swear it told me in the directions, the hole for the OAK should be lower than the vent pipe.

I installed my own OAK years ago, I swear it told me in the directions, the hole for the OAK should be lower than the vent pipe.

Pretty sure that means where the end of the pipe is. Which in that pic the vent pipe is way higher.

Good observation about the routing of the OAK. Either a stud or the Sole Plate prevented orienting the OAK at either of the lower corners. As a side note, I have not bought copper fittings in a while. That 2" Street Ell was $18.
That's why all these scum bags are going into vacant houses and ripping out the copper piping! That just happened to my sister's house in Pottstown, Pa! They never even bothered to shut off the water! AND insurance will only cover a vacant house for fire!

Status
Not open for further replies.