New Econoburn controller has flue temp shutdown

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

goosegunner

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 15, 2009
WI
I got the instructions for my DFD controller that my Econoburn 200 has. It shows a option to use a flue sensor to shutdown the draft fan. It can be set from anywhere from 50 to 220 degrees.

I was thinking maybe put it right in the area above burn tubes like the Tarm?

gg

It's hard to imagine how a system like yours, running full bore charging storage, could get a false reading and an unwanted shutdown. They're probably talking about non-storage boilers during the idling cycles, where the flue temp typically drops way down, and then take a while to rise back up into the normal burn range. In those situations, the controller may get tricked out by one or the other side of that curve, if the elapsed time is outside of some predetermined range.

Check what kind of sensor is used, probably a K-type? Probes are available for less than $10. Search *Bay, "K-type". If K-type, two connections, easy.

jebatty said:
Check what kind of sensor is used, probably a K-type? Probes are available for less than $10. Search *Bay, "K-type". If K-type, two connections, easy.
If you buy them of Ebay check the temperature accuracy of the K-type thermocouple.
Fill a cup with ice and some water, wait for 5 minutes to stabilize and put the thermocouple in it: should read around 32F I believe
Then warm up some water till it starts boiling and again stick the thermocouple in it: it should read around 212F but probably closer to 208F
Now you know the curve is pretty linear and it will provide you with fairly accurate temp measurements
There is a lot of crap out there
Check this seller on Ebay - kulastcp (I'm not related or get any sales commision)
He is in CT and sells good stuff at lower then half of the cost

Status
Not open for further replies.