New EKO Silicone Gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Medman

Feeling the Heat
Jul 8, 2008
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
I got and installed the new EKO silicone gasket from New Horizon today.
Here are the gaskets:

Attachments

• IMG_0503.JPG
    IMG_0503.JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 910
  • IMG_0504.JPG
    IMG_0504.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 841
Here is the old gasket coming out:

Attachments

• IMG_0508.JPG
    IMG_0508.JPG
    183.9 KB · Views: 824
The new gasket going in:

I had to cut about 1 inch off the end.
I will have to back the door hinges back out at least one turn in order to get the seal to fit.
Gaskets cost 38 dollars each, plus shipping.

Attachments

• IMG_0509.JPG
    IMG_0509.JPG
    199.4 KB · Views: 840
Another view of the completed gasket

Attachments

• IMG_0511.JPG
    IMG_0511.JPG
    202.7 KB · Views: 797
Silicone sleeve over solid fiberglass rope. It is very substantial, and I had a hard time working the new gasket into the groove. I think it will seal very effectively.

Did you use something to seal up where the ends meet? RTV? Looks good...I may have to procure one or two....

not yet, but I intend to use RTV to fill the gap.

How much was it?

$38 each, from New Horizon.

Do they recommend using these new gaskets for the lower door, or just the upper door? I use a home-made version of high-temp silicone covered fiberglass on my own EKO, but the high temperature of the lower chamber caused the silicone to break down fairly quickly. It works well on the upper door.

Just the upper door, as far as I know. I haven't had problems with the lower door leaking. I just got two because I wanted to have a backup.

I think for $38 I'll make my own....... Like has been discussed on here.

Here is the remnant of the gasket I had to trim off.

In order to get the door closed and sealed, I had to back the hinges out three full turns. I also had to put my shoulder into the door to get the handle to catch. Once it is seated and has had some heat I think it will get easier.

Attachments

• EKO New Gasket Remnant.JPG
    EKO New Gasket Remnant.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 673
It conforms fast and will mold nicely around the the steel chamber lip after a few firings, I had to turn my hinges in after a week of break in. Just check the corners you will notice wrinkles as the gasket makes the 90 turn I just filled them in a little with RTV because I was paranoid. I also went around the whole outer edge with caulk as to prevent any possible blow around of smoke behind the gasket. Hope it works as well for you as it did for me. I may try to get a second for backup as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.