New Empress FS blowing fuses

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

srjtr7

Jan 16, 2008
Near Boston
Hi,

I have an empress that is about 3 weeks old and has been running great on junky Lowes pellets.

I picked up some New England Premium pellets and now after running for around 30-45 minutes on hign it pops the 5 amp fuse on the board.

I figured...maybe just a fluke....put in a new 5 amp fuse ran for about 40 min on high then pop.

I will be calling my service people in the AM....but was just curious if this is a know issue or if anyone might have an idea of what is going on.

Thanks....I will post what the problem is when it is fixed.

I blew a fuse this past Friday, replaced the fuse and it blew again after about 5-10 minutes of warm up. Had my service guy come out on Sunday, and the wires from the mother board to the combustion blower were right up against it, burnt them up from the heat and they were arcing out. He replaced them, insulated the back of the blower, and re-routed them so they were away from the blower, and all is working fine now.

Might not be your problem, just an FYI, mine is an Empress insert.

look like an extra wire from the blower moter got melted by the exhaust moter housing.

Once I moved the wire away the stove worked great.

But now after the stove shuts off and cools down, the blower moter is still running. I know it has fully cooled...it has been about 2 hours since I shut it off.

Do you think my control card took a hit?

Also....still waiting for my service company to call me back.

Thanks.

According to the wiring schematic the exhaust blower is only supposed to have two wires running to it - a white wire and a blue wire, but when I took the side panel off I saw two black wires to the blower motor and two brown wires to the temperature sensor. I bet one of the wires that was melted goes to the temperature sensor and that's why the blower isn't shutting off when the stove cools down - which it should do in about an hour.

I put an ohm meter on the temperature sensor and when the stove cools down, the sensor opens. Your sensor may be fused in the closed position. The next time the stove cools down and the room air blower stops, pull one of the wires off the temperature sensor. If the blower stops, then the sensor is your problem. (Edit) Maybe the sensor is still working properly but the two brown wires have melted together. That would have the same effect - the circuit would never open.

off the blower motor there is a purple wire that is split and it is shown on the wiring diagram going to nothing.

It is routed down below the blower motor.

Yes the blower motor has 2 black wires and the sensor has 2 brown wires. The sensor test out ok with an ohm meter. When cold it is open.

The blower moter has purple and white....and only unplugging it turns off the moter.

All lights are off on the control board.

When I turn it on, everything works fine.

sorry it is the room blower that will not stop, it has the purple wire.

The exhaust has the 2 black wires....and the spare purple wire runs under the exhaust blower...that is where it melted.

Sorry, I was on a different page. I thought it was the conbustion motor that doesn't shut off. I didn't think there would be enough heat to melt a wire on the convection blower side of the stove. Yes, I found the extra purple wire that comes off the convection blower and goes toward the combustion blower but ends with a factory installed wire nut. The other purple wire goes straight to the control board so it would appear that if your room air blower won't shut off, you have a circuit board problem and might have to replace it.

It seems to me like that is a manufacturing defect that should be covered under warranty. I think I will move my useless purple wire back away from the exhaust vent just to be sure I don't have the same problem down the road. I've never run my stove on high for more than a half hour. That may be the only reason I haven't had that problem too.

Just got a new board from the dealer.....took them 6 weeks to get it.

It works fine...but there seems to be another control button on the board.

Dealer said it was an upgraded board and I just dont use it beacause it is covered by my panel and not to worry.

What is this button and should I care that it is covered up?

Status
Not open for further replies.