New engine for the flat bed Yota

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IFS in 86. That 85 is a sought after truck. EFI was an option in 87. They went to EFI only 22RE and a 3.0 V6 option in 89 I think.

Well it rained this morning then cleared off. But I didn't work. In addition to the new engine I am redoing the front end. New shocks,ball joints, drive shafts the CV boots are shot, Ball joint spacers, and Sway Away torsion bars. Getting the cone washers off the hub studs is a bear.

Not hardly. They are re-badged Mazdas.

The long answer:

I have had real B series Mazdas in the past. A Ford ranger and a true Mazda truck are two different things. Manual trans Rangers usually have a M5OD (mazda), and the later (post 2001 1/2) 4 bangers were a shared platform engine though the 4 banger to this point was a version of the pinto engine (2.0, 2.3, 2.5). The 3.0 is the Taurus engine which was designed in house by Ford in '84-86. The 2.8, 2.9, and 4.0 were all designed by Ford as well. Now, When Mazda discontinued the original B series (b series up to 2600i, including the Ford Courier, which WAS a rebadged mazda), the Ranger was rebadged for Mazda with the B number corresponding to engine displacement.

The Front suspension design is a scaled down version of the F series suspension (either TIB, TTB, or A arm style), and the sheetmetal corresponded to the curve and grille design of the F series, depending on the generation of truck. The rear axles are a Ford design.

I've had one of every engine family (except the diesels) in either a road legal truck or a trail truck. Most of my buddies were Toyota guys. I have wheeled in both. I feel you have more options with the Toyota than the Ranger, simply due to their popularity. I also think that the Toyota is a better choice for using as a replacement for a side by side, because those off the shelf choices keep the price reasonable.

Anyhow, sorry for steering things off topic. Looks like a fun project!:cool:

While I have been waiting on the new engine for the Toyota; it is currently in Salt Lake City, I have continued to upgrade the front end.

Yep it is in pieces.

New ball joints and driveshaft in.

Oh oh I think the bearings are bad on the drivers side. Went to the store and got new ones.

Got everything back together. But a lower ball joint was wrong. The part # on the boxes where the same but the ball joints were different. Had to order one.

Also I figured if I was going to drop a bunch on an engine I might as well get a fresh carb..

Well I got everything back together on the front suspension.:)

As you can see the Ball Joint Spacers made me shim the shocks. And you can see the new red torsion bars.

With the Ball Joint Spacers having changed the front end geometry I am going to need to do an alignment on the front end and then take it in to a shop for a final alignment. Just looking at it the toe in is insanely out.:eek:

wow it is!

Is that a factory rebuilt carb? I've got a factory 22r carb and at least one weber for the 22r on a shelf. Box of jets too. I got pretty good tuning that weber.

You know what I really miss? the most? Is that awesome parking brake handle that you pull and twist. Well, that and the synchronized transfer case. Well, also the manual trans.

Man, I should look into another old yota for a commuter.

Reactions: Foragefarmer
Update: the new motor is here and the old motor is out.

Got it ready to pull.

Out it comes.

In the shop with the new one.

I need some bolts to mount the new motor on the stand and then I will spend the evenings swapping parts from the old one to the new one and hopefully get the new motor in next weekend

Reactions: mikefrommaine
New engine came in a cardboard box? would of thought it would of been shipped in a wooden crate box or shipping skid

New engine came in a cardboard box? would of thought it would of been shipped in a wooden crate box or shipping skid

There is a heavy duty pallet under the cardboard box. It is the same dimension as the cardboard box. It was diapered and shrink wrapped and plastic strapped through the box to the pallet.

Well, everything is coming together even though a previous owner was red RTV happy and the vacuum lines were not all in the right place. Cleaning everything off has slowed the process a bunch. Oil pan this evening and then work on the clutch.

3B488690-A547-447C-BBE4-230784006192-2695-000000B35FB22C47_zpsd3360341.jpg

Everything is back together and ready for the install over the weekend. Considering all the poor quality work I saw taking the old engine and transmission apart I feel much better about what is going back into the truck than came out. Of course anything is better than the half a quart of sludge and bits of timing chain guide that came out of the oil pan.

She is a runner!

Started at 9. Got the Engine in.

4F1AA9DA-AC31-4D68-A16C-02F70736FF11-4226-00000182F02D557E_zpsc53d3616.jpg

The blue tractor has been acting up. Seems to be a safety switch is bad but I couldn't figure out which one. So I busted out big green.

5185AE37-8AB6-40E1-835C-6982C245EFB2-4226-00000182FBAA4E9D_zps6bf0703c.jpg

Got her back together and she was a runner after tapping the starter. I need to find a timing light, it is really close by the sound of it. But I need to dial it in. And I need to get the hood on it. Then it is only an alignment and inspection and it is legal again.

403CCD25-D5DF-4DCA-990D-7BE633C4349B-4226-0000018305E062BD_zpsb36e46cb.jpg

CB4398D5-F755-485B-8064-7782EA9C42E1-4226-0000018312601F91_zpseda49e11.jpg

You got to drive it a little.

3EEC62E8-8A1D-4EF4-8241-2076706608A6-4226-000001831AEC4DFA_zps4bd82eb0.jpg

Dual air filters?

Ha Ha, No, just another thing that needs to be corrected. This truck really has turned into a labor of love. I have turned to the interior now. I need to stop! It was supposed to be a fun little beater truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.