New England bird books

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
My wife mentioned that she would like a bird book that features a little more information about the birds we may be seeing around our birdfeeder than the simple identifying features. In other words she wants a bird book about New England birds with more information on their feeding habits, social life (probably better than my own social life . . . editorial comment inserted here), sex life (once again refer to the last editiorial comment :) ;) ), etc. Any suggestions?

I like the Peterson Field Guide for Eastern Birds. It tells you how to identify, gives quick facts, range, etc, but does not give the detail that you are looking for. A field guide like Peterson with drawings rather than photos, plus something with more general info, may be a good combo to look into.

I like the "Golden" Birds of North America. Easy to use for quick ID.
I also have the "Audubon Society" Field Guide to North American Birds. Lots of detailed information.

Status
Not open for further replies.