New England - How did your pellet stove handle the job last night?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night It was 15 deg. here In Plaistow and tonight It Is suppose to be 4 Deg. So I changed over from burning shoulder pellets(Okies and Vermonts ) to my cold weather pellets Cubex. The only difference I see Is the okies and Vermonts make an ash In the burn pot that looks like a woolie worm and the Cubex ash Is very fine. Stove running In room temp. at 70.Deg. The room farthest away from the stove In my Cape house was 68 and the upstairs bedrooms were 68 deg. I am happy
P.S. The Shoulders reference was tongue In cheek.
Jim

Wow, those Cubex must kick some serious a$$. I would never consider Okies or Vermonts shoulder pellets. They burn hotter than anything I can find around me.

Got down to about 12 degrees in Douglas MA, went through about 2/3rd's bag of Great American's ... downstairs 73, 2nd floor about 68

Was 5 degrees when I woke up this AM. House was at 77.9 on first floor.....74.5 on second floor. Running Okies Black Hills Heat. Nice fuel:)

Reactions: oldmountvernon
Was around 15f last night house was at 72 burning a mix of mcfeeters and okies sprinkled on top!!
Stove was clean and glass was clear after about 16 hrs burning !

Got down to about 12 here....burning the GT's, stove on Hi-Lo and set to 67 for the overnight. Nice and cozy this morning when I got up.

A little colder last night.....running hi/lo setting 2 I used about a bag again in 12 hours.....not too bad I say....living room was 74 coldest bedroom 66

yup i used the somersets i dropped the feed rate 1 because they were burning quick should of left it alone. woke up to 69 63 in the usual 65 hard to heat bedroom
not bad considering the outside temp i guess. but i am running the stove full tilt all the time minus the 20 minute cleaning shutdown cycle every 2 1/2 hours
How long can you go before having to fill the hopper?

4 degrees this morning, great americans - went through close to a bag in 8 hours had it on high last night. 72 degrees downstairs and 68 upstairs.

ill use about a bag overnight depending on the pellet. like most have been saying Somersets are burning quick they are very small but im not complaining i believe more in the pot more heat. i suppose the smaller pellet can burn easier thus getting hotter with more pellets in the pot without getting a dirty burn ( just an assumption )

What I have found is that the smaller pellets FEED faster,... therefore making it necessary to reduce feed rate for comparable consumption,....... (what the hell did I just say?)

Basically,... if you really want to compare pellets, one should notice the overall consumption. Everyone notices right away that Somersets make so much more heat than there previous brand,... what they dont consider is that the Sets probably feed faster too,... more fuel = more heat.

Reactions: oldmountvernon
Stove on low (only option), it was 67° downstairs and 67° upstairs. Electric baseboard heaters turned on upstairs and used 4 KWh of electricity. Overnight low was -14° and is currently still -13° but, as I type this, the big yellow furnace in the sky came over the mountains and I will be shutting the stove down in about an hour.

I was pretty upset with my stove's/pellets performance last night. Burning MWP in a Regency Greenfire GF55. I went to sleep with it on setting 4 and woke up to a house that was right around 60 degrees. The area I'm heating with it is a little over 2000 sq. ft. I think. Not sure if this stove isn't big enough for that amount of space when it gets that cold out or what. Overall I've had to keep it on setting 3 just to keep it in the mid to high 60's for the 2nd half of December and had to burn more pellets than I thought I would have so far.

i'm guessing it was maybe -9 here. went to sleep before the thermometer bottomed out.
somewhere between -6 or -7 to -9 or so.

once it heads toward -20 i'll start thinking about breaking out the mwp softies.
burning the blend still.
stove room was 72 after running on medium while we slept. i did run it a good stretch on high before going to bed.
back bedroom 63. my wife likes to turn one of the distribution vornados off or it would have been warmer.

I dont even know how cold it got last night. But it is 11 degrees now as I write this at 10 am.

Have the stove on manual heat level 3 , Heating 2400 sf colonial, ( all I currently have is Somersets)

Burned a bag in 11 hours. House was 75 ish downstairs 70 ish in upstairs bedrooms.

I would like the house a little colder. No thermostat set up yet. so i could have done better on pellet comsumption

stove hasnt been set up w/ mag yet either, I got damper about 1/3 rd open so it may not be optimal ????

I have ZERO worries the stove can keep up > Amazing. Think the Mrs likes this more than I do . And thats a lot.

Question ...... Is it wrong to flip off the oil trucks as they go bye ?

-11 overnight in in Mass 1 mile south of Vt border. Atypically cold. Stove is taking longer to heat up the house after my usual overnight thermostat setback to 62deg. That's because I don't want to increase the feed rate from 3.8 (Harman Invincible insert) since on normal winter temp days that setting works perfectly.

Hooking up a Honeywell thermostat to the Harman is the best thing I ever did to improve the stove's operation.

I had a frosty -9 degrees outside at 5:00 AM this morning and a toasty 68 degrees in the house (which is what I set it at when I went to bed last night). That's in room temp./ manual. I burned a little over a half bag of Empire's in 12 hrs. I'd say that's pretty good as 9 below zero is pretty cold. Just to the north of me in Star Lake, NY, they had a reported 18 below zero last night!

I was a little disappointed myself. I went to bed with the house at 72d and the stove set at level 3 which I had been running on level 4 until I went to bed. I woke up this morning 6 hours later with the temp down to 64d. The outside temp was about -2d. I guess wasn't expecting such a large drop from only dropping the setting level down 1 setting.

The question I will throw out which I know has many variables but... I'm curious what one would consider to be a setting that is too high. Is running the stove at level 5 or 6 unreasonable for night with these colder temps? I would be happy with house temp of 70 throughout the night.

was -8 overnight here in Central Maine - stove set at stove temp 3.5 kept it 70 throughout the house.

A little colder last night.....

Yep, We had minus 1 this morning. Only thing I did was change to Cubex. Left stove and stat at the same settings. Woke up to a comfy 72ºF and the stove was idling along. Cubies temps were about 25ºF hotter than the GT's. I think I used a bit less pellets too.

Love the rocket fuel on these cold days! ::-)

I am burning Okanagans all season this year regardless of outside temps. That said, I dumped a bag in around 9 last night, this morning at 4:30 outside was 4F, inside was 70 in living room/kitc/dining, 68 in my room, 65 in master bedroom. Stove on #2 overnight. Mo clue how much of the bag burned during that time just know there was plenty still in the hopper.

Went to bed living room was 82, bedroom was 70. Woke up the stove was off and was 75/70. 8 degrees out. Not too bad!

This morning was -3.9 degrees at 6 AM. House was at 76.2 downstairs/72.5 upstairs. Running my 50/50 experimental blend of Okie Black Hills and Somersets:p

12 here this morning. Burning Energex American. They heat ok but create a lot of ash. Living room was 72. Running the stove hi-lo setting. 3 for hi, so it's not working very hard.:)

About 60% of a cubex bag , running on quad medium out all night.. 67 degree wake up.. Not too shabby

Stove did fine but the operator - not so much ;em.

Looked at the hopper last night and said 'looks like enough to get through the night.' Big mistake. I don't know what the overnight low was but it was 16 when I got up and the stove ran out. The normally 72 deg end of the house with the stove was down to 63.

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
Status
Not open for further replies.