New England Pellets - Premium softwood vs. Premium hardwood availability in NH

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diana627

Jun 13, 2008
So. NH
Hi everyone,
I'm still trying to decipher the NE Pellet situation. Am I wrong or correct that NE Pellets is out of the premium hardwood and has stopped making the softwood due to some problems in ash content. The reason being is I located a lumber yard in NH that has NE Pellets, but they're the softwood. HE's telling me they're premium, but not hardwood. Anyone hear any discrepancies? Thanks,
Diana627 ([email protected])

I like soft wood pellets better because they burn hotter. Softwood pellets are the same density as hardwood pellets and a 40 lb bag is a 40 lb. bag. Softwood pellets have softwood resinses that also burn hot.

There is so little ash in pellets as compared to chunk wood stoves that to me it's a non issue.

Rich

The hardwood have brown lettering on the bag
the softwood have green lettering on the bag
BOTH are premium.
They never made the softwood pellets they just bagged someone elses pellets.

The Pellets I got from the above lumber yard were from NEWP with BROWN lettering... Does it mean they are hardwood? I really have no idea and at this point dont care since everything I have gotten from them burn fantastic in my P68. I have to clean the ash pan every ton....

I ordered my pellets from Agway in Petergoro yesterday as the poster suggested. I called NEWP plant in Jaffrey and was told they do bag for NEWP. My 5 tons will be here next month at a "low" price of $269/ton. The price already went up from $259/ton last week. I look forward to a very warm house this coming winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.