New England Pellets... With Corn.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FredJ

Hearth Supporter
Aug 6, 2006
I just picked up another ton of New England Pellets today. When I got home I noticed the bag now says " May contain up to 4% Corn" I checked my older bags and no such message. Has any one else seen this? Does any other manufacturer add corn ( or any other substance) to thier processing of pellets? Do you think the added corn will cause a little more carbon buildup?
I'm just curious, I havent tried burning any yet..

FredJ said:
I just picked up another ton of New England Pellets today. When I got home I noticed the bag now says " May contain up to 4% Corn" I checked my older bags and no such message. Has any one else seen this? Does any other manufacturer add corn ( or any other substance) to thier processing of pellets? Do you think the added corn will cause a little more carbon buildup?
I'm just curious, I havent tried burning any yet..
Do they have the nutritional information on the bag too? :lol:
No I haven't heard of this, I haven't burned NE this year. Maybe they are trying to cut costs abit......Were they the same price as last year?

I was talking to the guys from NE Wood Pellet a few weeks ago at the groundbreaking for their new plant in Central New York, and they mentioned that they are trying to find a suitable way to supplement their wood content with other fuel, specifically corn. They mentioned one percent, however.

While I think their main motivation is to cut down on what's becoming a scarce supply of suitable wood, there may also be some manufacturing advantage to adding corn into the mix.

GVA said:
No I haven't heard of this, I haven't burned NE this year. Maybe they are trying to cut costs abit......Were they the same price as last year?

Well it does say "not for Human or animal consumption" does that count for Nutritional Info??
I dont know how much they were last year, the "older" ones i picked up in August, same time I paid for these ( paid $240 ton), but of course I had to wait (and wait and wait) for the next shipment to arrive, which just came in ( it was due in sept)

Maybe they are having problems with the pellets not holding up, dies in the presses getting a bit worn and not making sufficient pressure? Adding a little corn could be just cheap binder, I am sure they are not using top grade corn.

I'd just be a bit worried about the possibility of attracting certain undesireable guests in my basement with that corn in there......I don't think rats and mice can read the bag that they shouldn't eat them :grrr:

Is it possible they are bagging corn and using the same equip to do so? Kind of like the may contain trace peanut products....

If it works good in your stove be happy and you will be happy to get the extra btu's from that corn. I much prefer corn and it its noticeably hotter, no doubt about it. I don't see much difference between the ash either. They say most pellet stoves can burn 40% corn so I don't see why it could be a problem. As for ruining your pellet vent mine calls for just P vent in the factory manual. All I get is staining after running about 12 tons of corn through it in the last 2 seasons.

Metal said:
So are you saying that the corn is chopped up and mixed into the wood then pelletized, or that there is actually 4% kernel corn mixed in with the pellets (when looking in the bag you see pellets and some corn as well)?

Its all ground up together and made into pellets. I wonder about the rodent thing though.. Maybe I'll put a little pile of old and new in the hampster cage and see which he likes better.. maybe not

As far as the extra BTU's my guess is it wouldnt be much, but I do wonder about it creating more carbon buildup in the burn pot, when I prev experimented with corn I had to clean that daily.

the New England Premium hardwood pellets have had that message on all year long. So far, there isnt any corn in them.

I think there is corn, but you don't see it. When I was at the plant they told me they were using 1% and they found that it helped BOTH the equipment and the pellets - maybe a little corn oil for lubrication. But it is ground up and you cannot tell it is there. I think that is what the case it.

FredJ said:
GVA said:

Well it does say "not for Human or animal consumption" does that count for Nutritional Info??
I dont know how much they were last year, the "older" ones i picked up in August, same time I paid for these ( paid $240 ton), but of course I had to wait (and wait and wait) for the next shipment to arrive, which just came in ( it was due in sept)

$ 240.00 per ton. You must be happy with the " Convenience Charge". That is the equivilent of paying $ 600.00 for a full cord of firewood.

I'll stay with the wood, thank you.

Weigle Tree Service said:
$ 240.00 per ton. You must be happy with the " Convenience Charge". That is the equivilent of paying $ 600.00 for a full cord of firewood.

Oh Boy. Let the fun start......:)

FredJ said:
GVA said:

and right now, $240/ton is cheap!

HarryBack said:
FredJ said:
GVA said:

and right now, $240/ton is cheap!

Holy crap!, HB. I want your job ! Is that a pellet brush handle you are using or genuine hardwood handle ?

Status
Not open for further replies.