1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

New England Wood Pellet News

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Eric Johnson, Aug 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    I got this from the New Hampshire Timberland Owners' Assoc.'s monthly newsletter:

New England Wood Pellet Commences Construction of Wood Pellet Bagging and Distribution Plant in Palmer Massachusetts

In a move designed to rapidly enhance wood pellet fuel availability in the
    northeast, New England Wood Pellet LLC has begun construction of a $1.5 million wood
    pellet bagging and distribution plant in Palmer Massachusetts. The plant will be
    operational by September. The company has a five-year agreement with British
    Columbia pellet manufacturer, Houston Pellet Inc. to import by bulk rail about
    82,500 tons of premium wood pellets annually (enough fuel to heat over 27,000
    average homes.)

The new facility will employ about eight people. Demand for wood pellets has
    increased significantly in response to increases in oil, propane and natural gas
    prices in recent years. Consumers are also showing increasing preference for clean
    burning, "carbon neutral", renewable energy products. New England Wood Pellet's
    Jaffrey New Hampshire facility produces over 80,000 tons per year, all of which has
    been fully allocated to dealers through 2007.

You are invited to attend the dedication and ribbon-cutting of a new $1.5 million
    facility

A new 20,000 square foot research, development and manufacturing facility dedicated
    to design, testing, and full scale fabrication of wood pellet manufacturing
    equipment and machinery (the first such facility in the United States) will have a
    ribbon cutting ceremony at 4pm on Wednesday, August, 9, 2006 (rain or shine) at 415
    Squantum Road, Jaffrey NH. BioFuel Energy Systems is a wholly owned subsidiary of
    New England Wood Pellet LLC. Special Guests will include the Honorable John Lynch,
    Governor, State of New Hampshire and Clay Hollister, Jaffrey Board of Selectmen
    among others. For more information call Charlie Niebling at 603-532-4666 x202 or
    write Niebling@pelletheat.com.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Good news, infrastructure helps. I was surprised to see that the pellets coming from the west coast. Still, I hope that helps the east with costs.
  3. Sandor

Sandor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Deltaville,VA
    A NEW manufacturing plant opens in the US. Thats news!
  4. Harley

Harley Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ashfield, MA
    And a new manufacturing plant opens in Massachusetts????? That's more than news.... That's Amazing!!! :bug:
  5. Mike Wilson

Mike Wilson New Member

Loc:
    Orient Point, NY
    Ahh yes... American laborers hard at work at our brand new facility...

Putting Canadian pellets into plastic bags. yay. :-S

Well, at least we'll hopefuly see cheaper pellets here on the Right coast. Go Canada!

-- Mike
  6. Eric Johnson

Loc:
    Central NYS
    Actually, they're breaking ground shortly on another 100,000 ton-per-year pellet mfg. plant in Central New York. Just a few miles from my house, as it happens. I think their target is to have it up and running by the start of the 2007 heating season. So that's a new manufacturing plant in New York State--even more amazing.
  7. daninohio

daninohio New Member

Loc:
    Cincinnati, OH
    I know of one pellet plant coming on-line this fall in southern, central Ohio. I believe it is supposed to be a manufacturing facility, not a rebagging distributor.
  8. daninohio

daninohio New Member

Loc:
    Cincinnati, OH
  9. Eric Johnson

Loc:
    Central NYS
    That's not too encouraging, Dan. Sounds like they're trading 130 jobs for quite a few less.
  10. Sandor

Sandor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Deltaville,VA
    Eric, what do you do for a living? Sounds like you rather connected.
  11. Eric Johnson

Loc:
    Central NYS
    I edit a magazine called The Northern Logger & Timber Processor.

Any new use for low-grade wood is always big news for us.
  12. carpniels

carpniels Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Rome, NY, USA
    Hi Eric,

Where is this local new pellet plant going to be build??

carpniels
  13. Eric Johnson

Loc:
    Central NYS
    It's going to be built in Skylar, which is between Utica and Herkimer on Route 5. Skylar's claim to fame, I believe, is the rest stop on the Thruway just east of the Utica exit. I assume the highway has something to do with the location--that and basically giving away the Crown Jewels (in the form of tax incentives) to get a few more jobs in this economically depressed part of the state. They wanted to build a plant in Boonville, but had a problem nailing down a site. I'm thinking if things work out in Skylar, they might actually do one in Boonville some day. Lots of low-grade wood up there on the Plateau; lots of underemployed locals, too.
  14. Sandor

Sandor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Deltaville,VA
  15. Roospike

Roospike New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Nebraska
    What!?! < Really !?! You mean China is not buying all the scrap wood and shipping product back to us as JUNK retail . O' wait ......... thats STEEL .
  16. stuart

stuart New Member

Loc:
    Bethany Ct
    WOW a some thing made in the north east
  17. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Where the heck do ya think he gets the connections to keep him in trees to whack up for that boiler? To do fifteen cords a year ya better be in the business.
  18. daninohio

daninohio New Member

Loc:
    Cincinnati, OH
    Yep, I agree Eric. Although it's at least better than just totally shutting down. Maybe the pellet business will grow for them?

Anyway, 130 jobs is a big deal out there. My farm is in the middle of nowhere -- I think 130 jobs may be the #3 employer in the county behind the school system and GE.
  19. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    You would be amazed to know how many counties in this country have county government as their largest employer.
  20. Eric Johnson

Loc:
    Central NYS
    That's why I should keep my nose out of the ashcan. Or at least get me a sock puppet for that.
  21. Homefire

Homefire New Member

No, that is why you need to be here.
    We already have far and away to many with no clue spouting
    building codes and quality of workmanship issues.
    I find it comical how envy rolls out whenever someone has made it
    in their chosen field.
    Remember ash wipes off with a swipe of your hand but dumb is ground in deep. ;)
  22. HarryBack

HarryBack New Member

Loc:
    Western Massachusetts
    im a bit leery tho of transport costs fromW. Canada making the prices of the softwood pellets they are bagging there really high. Also a new place starting up in Seekonk MA as well.......anyone hear of that one? (at least I think its Seakonk)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.