New england wood pellet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timss13

Jun 6, 2008
Peterborough, NH
I just got one ton delivered and have to say that I am very impressed with the current pellets from the jaffrey plant. Very clean, low dust and fines and good clean burn. I had burned 5 tones of Cleanfire Pacific premium and they were the dustiest pellets I have ever used. Will not get them again as the amount of time cleaning the stove pretty much doubled this season and I did not get any greater BTU's than I do with NEWP.

I burned NEWP last year and thought it was average at best. This year, they are much better IMO.

I just installed a pellet stove a couple of weeks ago and got two tons of NEWP with the stove. Not being a seasoned pellet burner my opinoin my not have much weight, but the two times I have cleaned my stove the ash has been very fine and I don't seem to have a lot of plinkers in the pan. Out of the 11 bags that I have used so far I had one bag that I noticed having a high amount of dust and fines. So far so good, but I am going to try some other brands as well. Iv'e heard good things about the Bearfoots which can be purchased at Hambshaw in Keene. I might pick up a few bags to give a try.

The New England is a good consistant pellet in my opinion. I burn them from time to time. Its wierd how different stove brands like different pellet brands. My Lennox Montage likes the Newp better than my harman. So when I do buy newp i usually put it in the Montage. But definately try single bags before you but 1+ tons of something youre gonna regret.

I have a local dealer selling the "Warm Front" version of NEWP at a pretty good price. Anyone have an opinion on this pellet?

epehubb said:
I have a local dealer selling the "Warm Front" version of NEWP at a pretty good price. Anyone have an opinion on this pellet?

A middle of the road pellet, leaning toward the low side in heat output. No more than a shoulder season pellet.

I'll keep trying newp from time to time, as they are a local-ish company and I prefer that if it is an option. Though these days it's hard to say who owns who, and where the money benefit really goes.

But last nite I burned my first ever bag of somerset. The hopper still had newp in the bottom and I could tell when the swap happened due to the flame and the heat output changing. less sparks and more fluffy ash, which means it gets moved out of my burn pot and into the chamber more readily, which means longer run times due to my burn pot not clogging up with ash.

I run manual (no thermostate), and I actually got up and turned the stove down a setting (from 3 to 2) after a bit. The smaller pellets seem to make a decent difference with my stove, even with other brands. I'm chalking it up to my stove just not liking longer pellets, among other factors I can never seem to pin down.

I'm excited to hear that this years pellets might be performing better, I'll have to see about trying some of them at some point. Got like 8ish bags of newp left, though the sommerset were 4.89/bag at lowes... I never expected this much deviation in pellets and the related adventures.

Somersets are a heck of a pellet. What gets me is they are cheaper and toast many of the big named brands. I wouldn't be surprised that they tossed the NEWPS aside!

epehubb said:

WF is the exact same proprietary pellet as NEWP, just a different bag.

From the bags I have burned from Schuyler plant they have improved dramatically. We have a digital thermometer hooked up to the plenum on my fathers stove and the temps are about 3 degrees below the Cubex at the moment the ash is down but not at the Somerset/Oak Cubex level. New England Wood Pellet is having a spring sale that makes them a good buy IMHO. We have them for $199 and some other local places I have seen them for $215 or $225. Lowes had a blow out sale on Somersets for $4.00 per bag three weeks ago and they went like hotcakes the cashier said.

Meneillys said:
From the bags I have burned from Schuyler plant they have improved dramatically. We have a digital thermometer hooked up to the plenum on my fathers stove and the temps are about 3 degrees below the Cubex at the moment the ash is down but not at the Somerset/Oak Cubex level. New England Wood Pellet is having a spring sale that makes them a good buy IMHO. We have them for $199 and some other local places I have seen them for $215 or $225. Lowes had a blow out sale on Somersets for $4.00 per bag three weeks ago and they went like hotcakes the cashier said.

Interesting, we haven't seen $199, or $210 for that matter, on NEWP here in New England for many years.

Burned NEWP exclusively 2 years ago when I purchased my stove. Not having anything to compare them to I thought they did a decent job. Last year I burned an assortment of pellets and found Okies and Vermont pellets to be FAR superior. This year I again went to the NEWP when the local store offered them at 20% off. The pellets were purchased last April and burned this winter. I was NOT happy with their lack of heat output and the amount of ash and clinkers they produced. Bought some Fireside Ultras towards the end of this burning season and noticed a BIG difference in heat and cleanliness.
My opinion is probably consistent with many others on here... Pellets quality varies year to year. Depending on stock material and manufacturing process, you can get a good pellet one year and not so good the next, all from the same manufacturer. Before I buy many tons of NEWP again, I will buy a few bags to test. Next years stock (6 tons of Fireside Ultra) is tucked peacefully in the basement, but during mid winter I may seek out a few bags of NEWP just to test to see if they've improved.

Status
Not open for further replies.