New Englander Outdoor Wood Burner - 1st Burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeave96

Minister of Fire
Apr 22, 2010
Western VA
I rolled out my fine Englander 30-NCH last night, peeled off any factory stickers from it, removed the protective film over the gold trim, put a 3 ft section of stove pipe on it vertically up with a 90 degree elbow at the top (just to make it look more like a trucker's exhaust stack), tossed in a super cedar broke in half, tossed in a few small splits and a match.

The stove lit-off great. I added a bit more wood and let the stove slowly rise in temperature. It didn't take much to get to 250 and 300, though I had to keep the door cracked to keep the flame lit as there was much smoke and not much draft with my short stove pipe stack. I eventually let the temperature rise as high as 650 degrees over the next few hours and during the peak of the fire could close the door tight as I guess once the stove got the pipe really hot, it induced enough draft to operate the stove.

I mostly ran the stove on primary air, but if I shut the damper down, I got some really strong secondaries. The secondaries worked as advertised, but there was not enough draft closed down to sustain the secondaries and I didn't want to stay up all night waiting for what looks like a very efficient stove to burn down the wood. I probably had the woodstove 1/3 full. I was also burning a mixture of oak and pine scraps. Once the temps hit 450ish, the paint begin curing and what ever oil residue was on the stove started smoking off. This would have smelled pretty bad if confined inside my house.

The stove has a pretty big window. Setting in the dark, all you could see was the flames in the firebox and I was thinking no difference in looks from my easy on the eyes Woodstock... ;)

With a little help from my 16 yr old son (he's getting stronger than me these days) and a good stout dolly and the pedistal installed on the stove, this Englander is pretty easy to move around.

Burning this Englander made me think a lot of my Dad who some 30 years ago was burning a new Englander back then. Aside from being a smoke dragon, that stove was probably the best stove he ever burned. I know it churned out some serious heat.

I've got high hopes for this Englander and it's heat output potential. I look at it as more of a furnance than a hobby woodstove. I am going to get the side shields and blower for it once I get the addition to my house finished (which is very close) and the stove installed. I've got a lot of super seasoned oak and locust firewood waiting in the wings with moisture content in the low teens ready to go. I think between the Englander 30 and my Keystone, we should be right toasty in this house for the winter.

One last piece of business..... WHERE'S MY SHIRT ??????!!!!!! and I want one for my Dad who was a near charter member of the Englander club... ;)

Thanks everyone!!!!

Bill

going down to pick up my new stove tomorrow morning (Timber Ridge version of NC 30). Said goodbye to one of my Regency R-3s. yesterday. Was a good old friend that went to a good home. Can't wait to get the 30 in place and firing.

leeave96 said:
I rolled out my fine Englander 30-NCH last night, peeled off any factory stickers from it, removed the protective film over the gold trim, put a 3 ft section of stove pipe on it vertically up with a 90 degree elbow at the top (just to make it look more like a trucker's exhaust stack), tossed in a super cedar broke in half, tossed in a few small splits and a match.

The stove lit-off great. I added a bit more wood and let the stove slowly rise in temperature. It didn't take much to get to 250 and 300, though I had to keep the door cracked to keep the flame lit as there was much smoke and not much draft with my short stove pipe stack. I eventually let the temperature rise as high as 650 degrees over the next few hours and during the peak of the fire could close the door tight as I guess once the stove got the pipe really hot, it induced enough draft to operate the stove.

I mostly ran the stove on primary air, but if I shut the damper down, I got some really strong secondaries. The secondaries worked as advertised, but there was not enough draft closed down to sustain the secondaries and I didn't want to stay up all night waiting for what looks like a very efficient stove to burn down the wood. I probably had the woodstove 1/3 full. I was also burning a mixture of oak and pine scraps. Once the temps hit 450ish, the paint begin curing and what ever oil residue was on the stove started smoking off. This would have smelled pretty bad if confined inside my house.

The stove has a pretty big window. Setting in the dark, all you could see was the flames in the firebox and I was thinking no difference in looks from my easy on the eyes Woodstock... ;)

With a little help from my 16 yr old son (he's getting stronger than me these days) and a good stout dolly and the pedistal installed on the stove, this Englander is pretty easy to move around.

Burning this Englander made me think a lot of my Dad who some 30 years ago was burning a new Englander back then. Aside from being a smoke dragon, that stove was probably the best stove he ever burned. I know it churned out some serious heat.

I've got high hopes for this Englander and it's heat output potential. I look at it as more of a furnance than a hobby woodstove. I am going to get the side shields and blower for it once I get the addition to my house finished (which is very close) and the stove installed. I've got a lot of super seasoned oak and locust firewood waiting in the wings with moisture content in the low teens ready to go. I think between the Englander 30 and my Keystone, we should be right toasty in this house for the winter.

One last piece of business..... WHERE'S MY SHIRT ??????!!!!!! and I want one for my Dad who was a near charter member of the Englander club... ;)

Thanks everyone!!!!

Bill

Congrats Bill sounds like another satisfied Englander wood burner in the forum!

Ray

Its not too bad when cured inside,you just have to crack some windows and take your time.

PapaDave said:
Uh, ....pics?
Hard to believe a word of that, unless there's pics. ;-)

Exactly. Personally, I don't even believe Leeave owns an Englander as I haven't seen a pic of it. Now we get a post about some pretend burn he supposedly made from a stove I don't believe he owns.

I'm technically challenged - so no pics, but I promise that over the winter, I'll get myself schooled in pic posting.

But - I'm wondering when I get around to posting pics I'm concerned you guys are going to accuse me of fake pictures - using that remote Arizona desert TV set location where they did the video of Neal Armstrong walking on the moon...... ;)

Bill

Here's yer shirt.

Attachments

• englander t shirt.jpg
    englander t shirt.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 501
BrotherBart said:
Here's yer shirt.

Let it be known that the shirt was awarded under protest. League officials will be ruling on this.

leeave96 said:
I'm technically challenged - so no pics, but I promise that over the winter, I'll get myself schooled in pic posting.

But - I'm wondering when I get around to posting pics I'm concerned you guys are going to accuse me of fake pictures - using that remote Arizona desert TV set location where they did the video of Neal Armstrong walking on the moon...... ;)

Bill

Well, if you know about the location, the pics are automatically suspect. Guilt by association kind of thing. %-P

OK a picture - I think.

Still technically challenged - but giving it a try.

Bill

Attachments

• IMG-20110904-00055.jpg
    IMG-20110904-00055.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 407
leeave96 said:
OK a picture - I think.

Bill

Great shot of a nice fire!! Congrats Bill!

leeave96 said:
OK a picture - I think.

Bill

Bill,
How does the view of the fire compare between the 30 and the Woodstock?

Ray

Well done Bill.

Looks really good, glad you got the picture thing figured out.

leeave96 said:
...that remote Arizona desert TV set location where they did the video of Neal Armstrong walking on the moon...

Actually, it was Neil Armstrong...not Neal. And the moon set where that all took place was in a hangar in Nevada, not Arizona. The basic Wikipedia article about moon landing hoaxes claims that: 'Polls taken in various locations have shown that between 6% and 28% of the people surveyed believed that the manned landings were faked."

Oh, puhleeeeze! I shudder to think that some or most of these same people may be registered voters. :shut: Rick

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_landing_conspiracy_theories

fossil said:
leeave96 said:
...that remote Arizona desert TV set location where they did the video of Neal Armstrong walking on the moon...

Actually, it was Neil Armstrong...not Neal. And the moon set where that all took place was in a hangar in Nevada, not Arizona. The basic Wikipedia article about moon landing hoaxes claims that: 'Polls taken in various locations have shown that between 6% and 28% of the people surveyed believed that the manned landings were faked."

Oh, puhleeeeze! I shudder to think that some or most of these same people may be registered voters. :shut: Rick

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_landing_conspiracy_theories

Weeelllll, you say "Neil" and Nevada and that wiki conspiricy web site, but who really knows..... ;)

ANOTHER PIC!!!!!

Thanks,
Bill

Attachments

• IMG-20110904-00051.jpg
    IMG-20110904-00051.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 356
WTG Bill, instant PC guru! :)

Ray

raybonz said:
leeave96 said:
OK a picture - I think.

Bill

Bill,
How does the view of the fire compare between the 30 and the Woodstock?

Ray

The Englander's glass is just as big as the Keystone. It is is a nice view. I've only burned the Englander once and it will be a bit before I hook it up to the chimney for the next burn so I really can't compare. I look at the Englander as a furnance - more utility focused than the Keystone now - whereas the Keystone did the heavy lifting last burning season. You just have to see the Keystone, it is a fantastic stove and the view of the fire is terrific and coupled with the cast iron and soapstone, is very easy on the eyes.

Thanks,
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.