New Enviro M55 Turbo blower installed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jrogers999

Oct 9, 2011
Billerica Ma
I installed my new turbo convection blower on my M55 cast. Took about 2 hrs. But wasted a lot of time trying to pull old one out. The directions weren't specific to a particular model. Once i figured out I could take the right side of the cast off I was made progress. So on that note if I did it again and with what I learned its a 45min-1hr job.

Got tired of overheating stove (It came with the adjustable auger plate, which is set at manufactures accommodation). Probably done 10 times since installed in October. Its just my wife, me and a toddler. The toddlers room is the coolest so we usually keep it hot to move more air. Its great downstairs is in the 80's, upstairs high 70's. To get the temperatures I get with this stove and I was uing my oil the oil man would be here every two weeks.

Now to the fan. It is definitely more noticeable. The first time I heard it kick in I was like wow, I was used to it being practically silent. But the output is definitively worth it especially to move the air further into the house. You can actually be a good distance away and feel the air. I feel like I can actually tell if I'm burning a high heat producing pellet. I find the fan noise to be loud, but not a irritating loud. Not sure if that make sense. Its a smooth blow. Not like a annoying humidifier fan noise. Also now you cant even hear the auger or stirrer rod in the burn pot. On the plus side I can run the fan on a lower setting like 1-2-3 and get more heat. I should hopefully be able to consume less pellets now too.

The final test is to see what my wife thinks of it when she get back from traveling for work.

I just wanted to share this with you guys and if anyone has questions I'd more than happy to answer any.

Did Enviro pay for your new fan? If so, how did you talk them into it? If not, how much did you have to pay for it? I'd love to get it for mine, but not willing to pay for it now.

Covered under warranty. My dealer just wants the old one back to give to his distributor. I never spoke to enviro directly.

My dealer will also get me the new blower if I wanted. I've been hedging and told him I would try the adjustable auger plate instead. I don't heat to your levels so once I installed the adjustable auger plate I can run the stove with Hamers on three without overheating and the auger plate adjusted to the second or third lowest setting. Still debating the turbo fan because I know I could really blow some good heat if needed. Just haven't needed it this year! I would be interested in knowing your wife's reaction to the additional noise of the blower. My stove is immediately next to the t.v. in the living room and not sure I want the extra noise.

Mine is the the living room near the tv. It's not that bad and wife doesn't seem to mind. You can blow more on a lower setting and fan isn't bad. On 4 and 5 it's loud. But like I posted earlier not a annoying loud. I have the plate and it didn't help. Just make sure you decide before your warranty is up.

We just had one installed. It's pretty loud IMHO compared to the original blower. All the M55 cast inserts are made now with this new turbo convection blower. It definitely blows more heat and will probably save us pellets as we can now get by on lower settings. But, I have to admit, I'm disappointed in the noise level as compared to what we had.

It's definately noticeable now. The original one was pretty silent. At least I'm not the getting the phone from
The wife anymore that the stove overheated, then trying to explain to her how to reset it. Just like someone wrote on another post. If they made it just a tad less powerful it would be quieter.

I have a Q about the noise as well. Has anybody thought about using rubber washers/bushings to secure and possibly isolate the noise, or is it a noise that can't be fixed in anyway? Also, can one still get the old style fan? Bill

As I understand it, this overheating problem is really only affecting the East Coast units. Apparently, we're burning much hotter pellets here in the east which is causing the units to overheat. Not a problem out west or in the central U.S. We can try to find the original blower from a dealer, lower the adjustable auger plate, and burn the Somerset pellets that we were originally using on the unit. The unit will be quiet, but will not produce the heat output that we're getting now. Our insert (purchased Oct 2011) started to trip once we started using Turman pellets. Then, it tripped constantly, even when we switched back to the Somerset pellets that we got from Lowes (and liked). We heat most of our 5,500 sq ft home with this unit and that's the main reason we purchased the M55. However, we also loved the realistic flame and low noise. The unit is located in our family room.

Based on my conversation today with Enviro, there's nothing that can be done to quiet the unit. Our unit sounds like a loud hum on levels 1 and 2and gets a little louder with each level. Thankfully, we rarely use it above three. It does put out some serious heat though.

I have noticed with new blower that the stove is not as hot to touch. Which is a good thing for the life of the parts inside.

Boy....What's a M55 owner to do.....seriously! My stove is finishing its first winter of up to 17 hours a day of great quiet heat. Did I say QUIET....One of the selling points of this stove is that it is one of the quietist stoves around. Again, QUIET! Based on this forum, my present convection blower should bite the radish in the middle of next winter, after 8-10 days of no stove, my new Turbo blower will arrive, able to heat a 15000 sq ft. home. BUT, I don't think it will be QUIET. I don't want noisy. So I think my plan should be to pick up the old style blower ( if possible) and wait for Enviro to come out with the correct convection blower. Just me rambling..........Bill

bostonfan49 said:
Boy....What's a M55 owner to do.....seriously! My stove is finishing its first winter of up to 17 hours a day of great quiet heat. Did I say QUIET....One of the selling points of this stove is that it is one of the quietist stoves around. Again, QUIET! Based on this forum, my present convection blower should bite the radish in the middle of next winter, after 8-10 days of no stove, my new Turbo blower will arrive, able to heat a 15000 sq ft. home. BUT, I don't think it will be QUIET. I don't want noisy. So I think my plan should be to pick up the old style blower ( if possible) and wait for Enviro to come out with the correct convection blower. Just me rambling..........Bill

I'm with you BostonFan....maybe by the time the Sox win the World Series again Enviro will have that correct blower!.....or we'll be heating our homes with fuel cells!!

Thanks whiago, but the Sox will win the WS again next Fall so that is when Enviro will come out with a 3rd quieter convection blower! I am very serious about gettin another 1st generation blower as a backup...Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.