New Enviro M55

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Smalltown Thanks!

JT you nailed it!
Came home flipped the switch and fired her up, 30 minutes later she is still raging. Wife actually made me turn it down, she said it was getting too warm.
Hopefully the auger/agitator noise will calm down. I will make an adjustment to that chain tomorrow. Looks like I won't be making lemonade after all!
Thanks again all!

Kevin C said:
Smalltown Thanks!

JT you nailed it!
Came home flipped the switch and fired her up, 30 minutes later she is still raging. Wife actually made me turn it down, she said it was getting too warm.
Hopefully the auger/agitator noise will calm down. I will make an adjustment to that chain tomorrow. Looks like I won't be making lemonade after all!
Thanks again all!

Kevin

Glad it was simple and it's all good now! :)

I second what imacman said on the stat. I love mine!

Enjoy the new toy! She sure is a pretty one!

Kevin C said:
Smalltown Thanks!

JT you nailed it!
Thanks again all!

Awesome! I'll be waiting to see if slightly loosening the chain makes the agitator quiet down.
Flynfrfun

Kevin,
Here are a couple of videos to help you adjust your chain tension. You won't need the first as it shows how to take the whole assembly apart. But on the second one they show how to adjust the chain tension. Hope this helps.
Flynfrfun

Agitator Motor Removal:

Agitator Motor Installation:

Another comment about the awesome job on the hearth! I have a Enviro Empress in flat black which is very similar to yours but i love that nice glossy color!

Thanks Seige, I will definitely let my brother know that the pellet gurus here appreciated his handy work.

Fly, that's awesome! It certainly makes my job a whole lot easier.

The video says "hold so there is a half inch of tension on the chain" my chain has barely any slack at all.

Kevin C said:
The video says "hold so there is a half inch of tension on the chain" my chain has barely any slack at all.

I'm thinking that if your chain has too much tension that it is pulling on the agitator motor's bushings causing extra friction which would make the motor work harder and result in more noise. However, I have no idea of how much or little noise this motor should make, so the only way to find out is for you to loosen your chain to what they recommend and see what happens. It's possible the noise you are hearing is normal, but I'd sure hope Enviro would have put a low noise motor on there since the rest of their unit is very quiet.

My understanding is that if you have the fuel type set to "premium", the agitator will only kick on for a minute every 30mins once the stove is up to your set temp. Even with a loud agitator, I guess I could live with that. :)
Flynfrfun

kevin,

that is a superb install, very nice looking pad ...!!!! hands down.....

As for the wireless t-stat, 3 weeks ago i bought the Skytech 3301 P2 online, i am very happy with it, paid around $109......a bit more $$ than the non-wireless but easier install and no need to run wires on the wall, etc.

Thanks Geek!

You like the wireless t-stat? Do you move it into different rooms or do you keep it in one place?

for now i put in in the kitchen which is next to the living room where stove is running, i really like the convenience.

I decided to contact Enviro about the squealing coming from my stove. I sent an email to the rep who was listed with the installation material. Within an hour I received a phone call from the senior technical support rep. I was pleasantly surprised with their quick response. He asked me a several questions and surmised that the noise was probably coming from either the auger motor, the auger blade or one of the two bushings attached to the auger blade. The rep said the stove should be whisper quiet and he said that I should contact the dealer and it would be covered under the warranty. I will contact the dealer tomorrow.
The rep. told me a story about a dealer in Washington who wanted to see what the stove could do. He said the dealer ran the M55 in his showroom for 24hrs 7 days a week without doing any cleaning for a total of 60+ days before the stove wouldn't start.

I totally believe it. The M55 has the same engine as the Omega. We have a member named hearthtools that has ran his for 10 weeks straight and over 35 bags of pellets. Never opened the door on it. Just the hopper lid to add more fuel! :)

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/13351/#147693

I have gone about a 2 weeks(maybe a little more) but whimped out and cleaned mine. I couldn't do that with the other stoves I owned. I have also run some high ash fuels for a solid week that would have clogged up the average stove.

The only thing that I might do within the week would be to scrape out the burnpot when I burn the fuels that create higher carbon deposit. I just hate the noise the agitator makes trying to clear the carbon. Sounds like a whale's cry. But with the cleaner burning pellets I have no problem going the full week before cleaning the stove. Of the 11 seasons and 3 stoves I owned. Plus all the others I assist with repairs and issues. This thing doesn't miss a beat when igniting on start up. I haven't woke up to a cold house but once(due to a broken part) in 2 to not quit 3 seasons. My other 2 stoves would get a missed ignite about once or twice a month even when clean. Almost 3 seasons and still smiling here, Just love this stove! Not to mention this is the only stove of the 3 that actually keeps this shack warm with ease. Not luke warm like the others.

My experience with Enviro's service has been very good. An my dealer has been excellent. And I have an internet stove. Even so Enviro has been great at answering the questions and the dealer was right there when I had an issue(weird one too). I highly stress making sure the dealer you have is a good one.

Keep us posted on the issue and how you make out with it. Hopefully all goes well for you!

"I have gone about a 2 weeks(maybe a little more) but whimped out and cleaned mine. I couldn't do that with the other stoves I owned. I have also run some high ash fuels for a solid week that would have clogged up the average stove." - Jay

I have gone 5 weeks - stove was a mess but I probably could have gone another week.

j-takeman said:
....I have gone about a 2 weeks(maybe a little more) but whimped out and cleaned mine.....

Scaredy cat ;-)

Fired up the 10-cpm the beginning of Oct., and haven't opened the door yet.....still starting-up & making heat just fine. I think I've gone through about 12-15 bags of Rockies so far.

imacman said:
j-takeman said:
....I have gone about a 2 weeks(maybe a little more) but whimped out and cleaned mine.....

Scaredy cat ;-)

Fired up the 10-cpm the beginning of Oct., and haven't opened the door yet.....still starting-up & making heat just fine. I think I've gone through about 12-15 bags of Rockies so far.

You trying to match Eric and the PC45???

I got so used to cleaning after every 2 bags with this testing stuff. Its like I am trained to clean-clean-clean-clean :) ;-P Oh and My 2 weeks was with Maine Woods first batch. So that's like a few more weeks with a decent brands.

Try burning 2 weeks with ACP???? hehe

I did my first cleaning this morning. I fired it up right afterwards and the stove filled with smoke, I couldn't see anything. Is this normal after a cleaning?

Kevin C said:
I did my first cleaning this morning. I fired it up right afterwards and the stove filled with smoke, I couldn't see anything. Is this normal after a cleaning?

Sounds like you put the burn pot liner in backwards. There is a hole the igniter lines up with. That has to go towards the back of the stove.

I checked and the burn pot liner is in correctly. If I did put the liner in backwards the fire grate would not line up with the tabs. After checking I fired it up and smoke filled up the stove again.

I wonder could it be the pellets? I just purchased Hardwood Heat pellets from Tractor Supply and today is the first time I used them. The smoke clears up after a few minutes. I used Stove Chow and Natures Own and did not have the smoke that I see now. I will put some different pellets in tomorrow and see if there is a change.

Kevin,
FYI, I went back to the dealer and listened to his M55's agitator. It was so quiet you could hardly hear it run. So, yours definitely has a problem. When the agitator wasn't running I could not hear the auger at all. It was dead silent. The only thing I could hear was the faint sound of the blowers and the pellets falling into the burn pot.

I just ordered my M55 cast insert yesterday. My wife and I can hardly wait to get it installed.

I hope they get your problem fixed soon. Sounds like really good customer service though!
Flynfrfun

Flynfrfun,

Thanks, and good luck with your stove. I do like the heat that it puts out. I have the dealer scheduled for Friday.

Kevin,

Are we talking lots and lots of smoke that fills the stove or just some smoke? Certain pellets will smoke on start up but I just barely see smoke from the exhaust. No major clouds or anything but enough to notice smoke in the stove. I think it has something to do with pellet density. If there rock hard they do take a bit more time to see flame. Before the flame I might see some smoke. But nothing like the other 2 stoves I had, They would smoke up the yard too. So I am used to seeing smoke. It's probably normal

One way to prove its the pellets is to go back to what you had before the smoke issue. If there is no smoke then its probably the Hardwoods Heats giving you the smokey starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.