New Feller...need advice...picture

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pdga1

Dec 19, 2013
Virginia
Im planning on taking this one down in the next few days that is broken on top. I really don't know how to approach this safely. Recommendations?

286fdf441c2bd5699eb7f8b94454cf18.jpg

It's much too high to get a rope around. I've tried already.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would agree with these posts. I've got half a dozen like your photo and they will stay there until the wind (or rot) brings them down. That said, IF this tree poses a danger due to a driveway/walkway below it, then it needs to come down and if it was me, I'd do it myself. I've been using a chainsaw for many years and would feel I could do it but I would have a spotter/helper. I don't feel I can post advice because there are too many variables and I have no idea how your felling expertise is and how crazy you are. It's a big help IMHO that there are lots of trees very close that you can walk on the far side of one and have a decent escape route as the tree comes down. However, an expert would want to carefully check the tree that is being cut plus all the nearby trees for internal rot. It appears that even if you cut this tree, it will likely get hung up on a nearby tree as it falls. Now, you've got an even more dangerous situation. That would be my prime concern.

Well, I have plenty of others I could work on first. I'll wait it out. Thanks for the feedback.
Where abouts are you in Virginia? If your close enough to me, I wouldn't have a problem felling it. I have plenty of experience felling hazard trees. No cost.

How high?
Have you tried using a throwing line and a weight bag to get a rope on it? (Zing-it) You may be able to pull it down. What ever you choose, be careful. Especially until you get a little more experience under your belt.

Tanerite... Yeah.

Can't see what's around it and there's a lot of variable. But, with what I see, I'd bore cut with the hinge 180 degrees from the widow maker, wedge it hard, have a clear escape route out to the left, cut the backstrap and run like hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.