New Fireplace assistance requested

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gman1001

Jan 9, 2006
Sales
Hi I currently burn a Jotul 3td in my house. Its vented out the top about 4ft then turns 90 degrees through the wall to a 15" square brick chimney that goes up 1.5 stories about 6' above the roofline. Works just fine. There is NO fireplace but there is a 5' square slate pad it all sits on.

I want a fireplace vrs the woodstove sitting in the middle of my living room.

Here is what I was thinking - please weigh in on my plan.

1. take my 16lb maul and knock down the brick chimney to a point where I can rest a pre built fireplace. (what are those things called again?)
2. Have a pro install the proper fireplace and chimney system. (multi wall pipe solution) to the outside of the house
3. frame and side the chimney to match the house siding.
4. build a hearth about 12" or so off floor in living room.
5. place Jotul on hearth, vent out rear up the chimney.

6. enjoy the living room which now has a proper (reasonably priced) fireplace and chimney system

What do you all think???

so, you're going to go through the trouble to have a fireplace installed, just so you can stick the jotul in it? am I following correctly? I'm a little confused

post some pics of your current setup, then tell me what your final objective is- do you want an open fireplace or, as i understand it you simply want considerably more room in your living room? with some pics i may be able to help you better.

So do you want to still burn that same woodstove but in front of a fireplace, or what looks like a fireplace? If that is the case, you are over doing it. Leave the chimney as it is. All you need to do is decorative work on the inside. Move your vent into the chimney at a lower point, using a proper chimney liner. Add a mantel and make the look of a fireplace on your existing wall. Doesn’t have to really be a fireplace, just needs to look like one. (The term you were looking for was zero clearance, air cooled chimney)

mlouwho said:
So do you want to still burn that same woodstove but in front of a fireplace, or what looks like a fireplace? If that is the case, you are over doing it. Leave the chimney as it is. All you need to do is decorative work on the inside. Move your vent into the chimney at a lower point, using a proper chimney liner. Add a mantel and make the look of a fireplace on your existing wall. Doesn’t have to really be a fireplace, just needs to look like one. (The term you were looking for was zero clearance, air cooled chimney)

I agree. If possible, try working with what you've got. Go over to the pictures forum for some inspiration. Maybe you just need to enhance the area behind the stove with some nice stonework or slate on the wall. You could even encase the brick chimney in stone. Your stove is going to function better as a heater if air can circulate around it. Try not to enclose the stove too deeply in a fireplace.

my objectives are 3 fold.

1. create more room in my living room
2. make things look better - kinda wierd how this thing was built.
3. create more work for myself! (only sorta kiddnig)

I'll post pics tonight. Tx everyone for your thoughts.

gman, is the current chimney lined? what's it's age and condition?

No not lines with any sleeve or other after market fix type thing. Built in 83 the chimney is still in good shape. it has the standard brick exterior and not sure what they are called but it is a rectangular or squarish firebrick type chimney liner. (clay based etc... etc...) sorry I don't know official terms

OK, it sounds like this is a nice, tile-lined chimney. Before seeing the pictures I wanted to check and make sure the chimney itself wasn't a loser. Built in 83, it should last many more years.

BTW, a well-built chimney with a tile-liner can be a bear to take out, especially if the mortar is still good. I just did this last weekend. Took 12 hrs. of hard labor. YMMV, I was working in a confined space, no room to swing a sledge. Had to work with a small sledge and chisel.

Exterior of the chimney is about 15". Since this was built only for a stove, not a full size fireplace, that dimension goes all the way to the ground, it never gets wider.

Also - another question:

If I move my stove exhaust lower on the wall - to make it 'apear' as if it going out through my new 'mock' fireplace, is it possible to close up the old hole which was/is farther up the wall?

TX!

Did you try to post pictures? Do you need help?

I would run an insulated stainless steel liner down that chimney, then yes, you can brick that old hole right over

"I would run an insulated stainless steel liner down that chimney, then yes, you can brick that old hole right over"

and why on earth would u do that?? stainless is a good lining material, however a properly built and sized masonry chimney with clay tile is superior. To reline a perfectly sound clay lined chimney in excellent condition is absurd. what he needs to do is find a decent mason or do it himself, although, he may not have the expertise; remove the thimble, clear the mortar around the thimble, then place a sheet of stainless over the flue tile, slightly larger than the hole, cover with fireclay, then brick the hole over, filling any void behind the brick with fireclay.

Status
Not open for further replies.