New fireplace. Have some questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newguy09

Jan 5, 2009
Central IN
We just had a new kozy heat Princeton installed (propane). This is my first gas fireplace so I have several questions.

1) we have a thermostat remote that turns it on/off but does not adjust the flame height/heat output. Is it hard on the unit to let it turn off/on completely using the thermostat or should we go turn the flame level down for longer burn times?

2) when I turn off the pilot for summer which if any valves do I turn off as well? The valve under the unit or the valve on the propane tank?

3) what kind of maintenance needs to be done?

If you run the unit via thermostat, it is the same as using a switch. It won't hurt anything. If you turn the regulator down, you will allow for the flames to burn longer before satisfying the T-stat. The gas usage should be about the same. You will see a smaller flame for a longer period of time. When I installed gas fireplaces, I always told the new owners to put the flames to medium, as well as the blower. If more heat is required, one or both of them will need to be turned up.

When you turn the pilot off, there will be no gas flow from the tank, unless there is a leak in the gas line. There is no need to turn off anything else.

You will need to clean the glass (INSIDE) after the first two weeks. There are oils, paint & adhesives
inside the firebox that need to cure & the outgassing will form a film on that surface.
Ceramic stove-top polish works very well to remove that film.
After that seasoning, you will only clean the glass as needed...
After two seasons, your glowing embers (rockwool) will need to be replaced.
Every year you will need to clean the blower(s). More often if you have pets.
Once a year you will need to dust off the top of the heat exchanger.
Touch up paint can be used as needed.
If you are using this as a primary heat source, you should have it professionally serviced after the first year. If you pay attention to the technician's technique & are handy enough, you can probably do it yourself after the first time. If you doubt your capabilities, You should always have it professionally serviced.
If you are only using it on weekends & a couple of hours at night during the week, you can probably stretch the service intervals to every 2 - 3 years.
HTH

Thank you for all the help. The blower seems to have an intermittent vibration. Is this normal or is it something I should call the dealer back about to have addressed?

Also, there is still some noticible smell coming from it when it's hot. Not as much as the first day but still present 4 days later. Should this still be going on?
Thanks

Last edited:
Thank you for all the help. The blower seems to have an intermittent vibration. Is this normal or is it something I should call the dealer back about to have addressed?

Also, there is still some noticible smell coming from it when it's hot. Not as much as the first day but still present 4 days later. Should this still be going on?
Thanks

The blower should not vibrate. See if there is something, a wire maybe, that may be contacting the blades. Maybe a minor adjustment in the positioning...

The smell will continue until the materials used in the manufacture of the unit have cured. This can take up to 8 hours of burn time. If you are only burning
a couple of hours at a clip, it will still take a total of 8 hours to complete the curing. Once that curing is complete, you'll be good to go...

Status
Not open for further replies.