New fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Billydaboy

Oct 24, 2014
So212nh
Hi, I've just moved into a new long term rental and have a spot for an open fire and wondered if anyone coul recommend what is best for me? The chimney has been swept, thanks :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 120
That is a tall narrow fireplace. It will probably take a small narrow stove, but not many US models would fit. What is So212nh? Are you living in the UK?

Hi, yes sorry I'm in the uk, I don't think the chimney has a liner and is in an old cottage so was probably thinking of an open fire but just not to sure what's best really?

If the goal is heat, I would get a small narrow stove that has a nice fire view through the door. An open fire will remove heat from the room as the fire cools down. The stove should have a stainless steel liner attached.

Yes, that's correct. Usually the fireplace chimney is too large for a stove. If this is an old chimney and does'nt have a tile liner, then it is also a safety factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.