New Firewood This Year?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

byQ

Minister of Fire
May 12, 2013
Idaho
Have you cut up any wood that is new to you this year? And what do you think about it - easy to get, split, and dry?

The new wood for me this year is Honey Locust. It is not overly common in my parts but it's around. Wow, what a great firewood. I'm use to being able to one-handed toss most firewood 15 to 20 feet but that isn't going to happen with Honey Locust - it's too dense. Also, It splits nicely. I'm still drying it - no rush.

I cut some catalpa this year. Split like butter. Good kindling I hear. I also checked all this years wood today and nothing is over 17%. This consists of oak, hickory, ash, cherry, maple and poplar. :)

Honey Locust- up in the top 5% btu wise- Need a good coal bed to get it to preform the best.

Last fall my BIL cut 2 Pin cherries down for me. That was the most awesome smelling wood Ive ever processed. I got about two facecords from both trees. The racks are still giving off some wicked licorice scent. My chickens got to enjoy about 2 summers of their small bright cherries before the 2 trees fell into decline. I thought the dieback in the crowns were a canker problem but the trees were clean. I could not detect the cause of the die back. Feel sad, they are the only 2 Pins on the whole farm.
The wood was also a bright orangy red color with ring stripes in the grain.
I should have set some aside for carving.
I will be burning it this fall and Im looking forward to discovering the scent.

All woods are new to me. I cut up and split a yard tree ash. What a PITA that was. I also dropped and split some cherry and mulberry along a fence line. The mulberry splits nicely if you just threaten it with a Fiskars. You actually need to wield the Fiskars to split the cherry but it is also quite nice compared to that ash.

Status
Not open for further replies.