New Firewood Trailer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JSJAC

Oct 7, 2008
NH
Here is a Pic of a trailer I got for free and cut down to size for my use. It is loaded with wood from a local over the hill from us.
The trailer is a great help for us getting wood home. I cut one and a half feet from the deck and cut the ten foot tounge off and put a new one that is five feet long.I will put fenders on it soon.That was the most wood that I have had on the trailer and it is a very heavy load.

Attachments

• P9170100.JPG
    P9170100.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 1,037
  • P9170099.JPG
    P9170099.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 1,338
now thats sweet!

Great score!! Just be carefull of those mobile home tires. They hold a tremendous amount of weight but when they decide to blow out from age....bar the door Nelly!

Are you going to put license on the trailer? I am just curious. Here in WV, the law has been changed, so I'm told, to NOT allow narrowed and/or recycled mobile home axles any more. Narrowed, I can see, but recycled, that is dumb. They are too handy and tough to throw out.

EDIT:

Sorry, the second pic wasn't showing up when I posted this. I look like an idiot.

Forgot to give the size of it . The box size is six feet six inches wide and ten feet 4 inches long and the side boards are thirty inches tall.

It has been tagged by me for three years and never been asked about the axles. The tires are new. The mobile home shop near me sells them for 40 or 50 dollars for a new tire and wheel.
That was Sundays load and just got the rest of the pile today almost as much as in the pic.

My tractor would have fit on that before you cut it down to the size you wanted.
Scratch you off my borrow list.
:)

Nice wood hauler.

The axle thing may be due to the fact that we have farms here that grow nothing but mobile homes. Iowa and Nebraska have corn, Florida has oranges, and West Virginia has trailers.

I have a large low-boy myself with the same axle/wheel setup. $50 for a tire and wheel is a great deal. Most tire places around here, if they will mount a tire on a MH wheel at all, charges about $20 to just mount one.

I need something like that in the worst way. All I have now is a flat 2 place snow mobile trailer. I don't use it for wood. If I had a trailer like that, it would seriously cut down on my wood getting time.

Very nice...I like the larger tires too.

That was a great idea, with that and the truck bed you should be easily getting a cord of wood each time ??

I think it is about 1 cord with it stacked high like it is , but it is a heavy load. OK if not driving to far

JSJAC said:
I think it is about 1 cord with it stacked high like it is , but it is a heavy load. OK if not driving to far
whats the measurements of the trailer?ok just caught the measurements your hauling 166 cu ft or 1.26 cords in the trailer!

Inside the box is six foot six inche wide ten feet four inches long and the side boards are thirty inches tall

JSJAC said:
Inside the box is six foot six inche wide ten feet four inches long and the side boards are thirty inches tall
thats a back breaker load!

smokinj said:
JSJAC said:
whats the measurements of the trailer?ok just caught the measurements your hauling 166 cu ft or 1.26 cords in the trailer!
Ya, I agree with your #'s.

heres a good site to figure that stuff out

http://maine.gov/ag/firewood.html

smokinj said:
...your hauling 166 cu ft or 1.26 cords in the trailer!
Only if you stacked it. Loose piled is somewhere between 180 and 220 cu ft for a cord.

LLigetfa said:
smokinj said:
...your hauling 166 cu ft or 1.26 cords in the trailer!
Only if you stacked it. Loose piled is somewhere between 180 and 220 cu ft for a cord.
with a load like that one thing Iam sure of my back would be smokin! pretty big rounds to be throwing for me!

I have a small 4x8x2 utility trailer that has a mobile home axle and those goofy 14.5 Mobile home rims and tires. I would gladly swap it for an actual dexter trailer axle just so that I could use regular tires and bearings. Finding replacement tires would be much easier. The bearings in those axles are huge.

Are the sideboards 2x6 lumber? Just 2x4s in the stake pockets?

My guess is the sideboards are at least twice as wide as the stakes, at least 2x8. Given that 3 boards are 30" high probably 2x10.

I'll be the nervous nellie. You got brakes on that trailer? If not, be real careful comin' down the hill with a full load...

Status
Not open for further replies.