New froling install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 22, 2015
Newfoundland
Just finished installing the storage tank for the froling fhg 40 turbo 3000. I used the boiler last winter without the storage. This proved a little problematic. There was some creosote around the loading door but not enough to create a mess. It was just a matter of scraping it off once in a while. This was caused by running the unit in slumber mode for 50% of the time. Since the storage unit has been installed there has been no creosote present at all. The froling unit now runs like a dream. The oil boiler has not fired up in over a week. I see a 50% reduction in wood over my previous boiler and if all indicators prove out, I should cut my oil bill from $3000 per year to $500. This is good since I use oil for domestic hot water in the summer. The initial cost of the install will be recovered in 5-6 years in savings on oil alone. The 50% reduction in wood is an added bonus not to mention the savings in work in time and handling. The tech support for the install came from the experts at "Rutter Urban Forestry". ( The boiler supplier) These guys wrote the book on customer support. I had a long list of questions and being the first guy on the east coast with this boiler I wanted to make sure I left no stone unturned. These guys came through in fine style. Mike and his team answered all my questions and even helped me find suppliers for some of the equipment that was hard to source in Newfoundland. Thanks mike to you and your team.

Nice.

But where are the pictures? :)

Where is your boiler supplier located? I assume not on The Rock? Or are they?

BTW - you can save even more if you do away with oil all together & do your DHW with a cheap & simple electric water (tank) heater. I yanked all our oil stuff out & sent it out to pasture. DHW costs us $20-25/month at $0.18/kwh. I put in an electric boiler for backup heat. Also cheap to buy, gained a lot of space losing an oil boiler & tank. That would all depend though on how much you would use backup heat during a winter - electric boilers are expensive to run. Ours only runs maybe 2 days a winter, over the holidays. So very happy so far in getting completely off of & away from oil.

Pic to follow when I get time. My boiler supplier is in ontario(Halliburton) there is no supplier in nl for froling. I have lots of room in my basement 50x30 with a 9 ft ceiling. Electricity prices going up all the time soon to surpass the cost of oil for DHW. I have oil primarily for backup to wood. I plan to install a gen to power the essentials in my house if the grid goes down.

Funny thing here - our electric prices went down at the first of the year. Not enough to notice - just enough so they could say they went down. Think it was less than 1%.

Frolings are pretty well top of the line - great stuff.

Got tired of always going with the cheapest option. Usually turns out to be more expensive at the end of the day. This time I went to the opposite end of the scale. I think this was the best option for me. I couldn't find a dealer for froling east of Ontario that being over a year ago. Shipping wasn't a breeze .lol

Got tired of always going with the cheapest option. Usually turns out to be more expensive at the end of the day. This time I went to the opposite end of the scale. I think this was the best option for me. I couldn't find a dealer for froling east of Ontario that being over a year ago. Shipping wasn't a breeze .lol
Rod - Congrats on a great system. I just put up a post getting some thoughts on heating with low flow temp. Not sure if you are doing this but if not it is a way to really get the most out of what you are doing. You can also leverage a mixing valve to address the DHW (I believe most controllers can control more than 1 shunt valve). Not sure of how you are plumbed but if you end up doing this and have a controller that can only control 1 shunt valve, you can also use a separate plumbed loop for DHW and leverage DHW priority. Enjoy your newly improved system!

This.

For professional grade work, the material is usually cheaper than the labor and high quality materials, factory engineering, are a labor saver.

Congrats and enjoy the Froling for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.