New Garn Jr is here

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Basically build a box around it. I have a bunch of fiberglass batts left over from other projects. I plan on stuffing those in there. And I'll probably top it off with blown in insulation. I should have about 12-16 inches on the sides and top. Back will have roughly 2ft and the front I haven't figured out yet.

My Easter weekend. 2 Windows removed. Walls reinsulated and sheathed. Now I can start hooking stuff up.

Attachments

• 20140420_121928.jpg
    20140420_121928.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 417
Last edited:
So my wife thinks I have a mistress named Garn. Hope she learns to like her since I hope she will be living with us for the rest of my lifetime. Or Maine runs out of trees.

Reactions: Tennman
So my wife thinks I have a mistress named Garn. Hope she learns to like her since I hope she will be living with us for the rest of my lifetime. Or Maine runs out of trees.

That should turn nicely into a threesome once next winter comes and Ms. Garn is keeping you both warm.

!!!

Reactions: BoilerBob
I'm hoping that at least 1 of the 2 will keep me warm next winter. It's always good to have a backup plan.

Well 1 zone is almost completely plumbed. One more fitting left to complete it. Here's some photos of what I would call progress.20140424_215358.jpg20140424_215425.jpg

The oil boilers looking pretty naked. I've been stealing valves, copper pipe and anything else I can use. I thought about piping a zone through it and putting a duct fan in the chimney vent and using it for a giant radiator to heat my garage. Or just removing the insulated panels.... lol. I'm hoping I never fire it again in my house.

All my photos are upside down tonight. Guess that means it's time to get som sleep.

Attachments

• 20140428_222110.jpg
    20140428_222110.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 344
Congrats on the Garn Jr. and Nice work MaineGuy. What kind of wood is your firewood supply made up from?

Congrats on the Garn Jr. and Nice work MaineGuy. What kind of wood is your firewood supply made up from?
I burn a lot of Ash, some rock maple, occasionally some birch I cut most of my wood of our land. So it's whatever is ready to be cut. So it's usually a pretty big variety. Including some cherry and beech. I try to leave the oak for the deer.

I know it's middle of May and 54 degrees but couldn't resist firing it up. Still need to enclose it but it's burning. Sensor wires need some straightening up but I've got plenty of time for finishing touches.

Attachments

• 20140513_203322.jpg
    20140513_203322.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 343
NICE!

Still need to enclose it but it's burning. Sensor wires need some straightening up but I've got plenty of time for finishing touches.

Har - I've been burning since October 2012, and mine is still not 'finished'. I was at it again just last night actually, insulating a FPHX. I will be picking away at it all summer, likely, as mood dictates.

Nice work, nice boiler!

(More pics please ==c )

Har - I've been burning since October 2012, and mine is still not 'finished'. I was at it again just last night actually, insulating a FPHX. I will be picking away at it all summer, likely, as mood dictates.

Nice work, nice boiler!

(More pics please ==c )

Yea I'll post more pictures once I clean out a bigger hole so I can get some decent photos. Next item I need to tackle is to clean out the basement so I can start putting my wood in there for winter. I know its going to be nice not having to wade outside through the snow to put wood in the stove.

A few quick updates. Decided to use roxsul and metal roofing to close it in. Sides are done know got to figure out what to do with the top. Front I may leave as is for now. uploadfromtaptalk1400726143150.jpguploadfromtaptalk1400726165059.jpguploadfromtaptalk1400726181600.jpg

Looks good, you could just lay batts of R30 across the top - On the front, can you still get at the 2 lower clean outs?

Yea I cut circles for the clean outs I just stuck the circles back in the hole.

I've been mulling on how to finish my storage enclosure, for over a year now. I have recently been leaning to steel and almost had my mind made up. I think you just convinced me. Very nice job.

They suggest 5/8 gwb but there's a chance it could get wet at some point. Metal roofing was a little more money but at least if it gets wet it won't damage it. Plus if for any reason I need to get into it. I can just unscrew the sheets of metal.

I put steel on my roof 3 years ago. The guy I got it from often has leftover odds & ends. Time for me to ring him up again I think. He also sells foiled foamboard. I think I have a plan coming together. Looks good laying down like that.

Reactions: MaineGuy
gy5a7ame.jpg

Easiest 8+ cord I ever worked up. 2/3 payment for my OWB. I could get used to this but won't. Now to make room in my basement. And start working on the year afters wood.

Are you running those zones straight off the Garn?

I thought you needed an exchanger due to the Garn being unpressurized?

K

Status
Not open for further replies.