New Gasket already?!?!?!?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jotulf3cb

Oct 19, 2009
Philly
I purchased my Jotul F3CB exactly a year ago and started recently noticing black in only one corner of the glass. I replaced the glass gasket and while I was at it replaced the door gasket as well. All I have to say is that it was never as tight as it is now!!! Anyway, just wanted to know if its normal that these gaskets should have to be replaced annually??? Also the stove store told me to bring in the door and they would be more than glad to replace them at the nominal cost of $85!!!! Two gaskets, cement and a little elbow grease $16.00 (still expensive but what choice did I have .... I was there already)

Jotulf3cb said:
I purchased my Jotul F3CB exactly a year ago and started recently noticing black in only one corner of the glass. I replaced the glass gasket and while I was at it replaced the door gasket as well. All I have to say is that it was never as tight as it is now!!! Anyway, just wanted to know if its normal that these gaskets should have to be replaced annually??? Also the stove store told me to bring in the door and they would be more than glad to replace them at the nominal cost of $85!!!! Two gaskets, cement and a little elbow grease $16.00 (still expensive but what choice did I have .... I was there already)

I was able to adjust my door handle by taking off one washer which made the seal much better, I take it on the jotul you can't do that.

zap

It happens. I had to very carefully tweak the the tension on the glass on the F3CB before it was "just right". On the F400, it was slightly worse. The glass gasket wasn't even between the glass and the door in one section of about 3". I used a thin metal pocket ruler to gently nudge it into place, then gingerly snugged up the glass clamps just a hair tighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.