New gear box for my truck

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbedford

Minister of Fire
Mar 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I finally built a box for the old truck. I was planning on having a couple underbody boxes made, but the funds just aren't available right now. I threw this together over a few days mostly out of lumber I had left over from other projects. I spent as much on paint as I did lumber.

It sits on the floor in between the racks. I was planning some kind of bracket or bolts to hold it in place, but went for the good ratchet strap instead.
DSC05858.jpg

Door on top, divided into three sections.
DSC05862.jpg

Saws, gas, and oil.
DSC05859.jpg

Files, tools, and other small stuff
DSC05860.jpg

Axe, Maul, and other long handled tools go here.
DSC05861.jpg

Sure beats having all the stuff roll around on the bed or in the cab with me. Only problem is that I have to climb over the load to get at the box.
DSC05868.jpg

Sweet job. Nice addition to that beauty of a Ford you have.

thats nice

Flatbedford said:
Only problem is that I have to climb over the load to get at the box.

A ladder up the corner of your bed would fix that. Nice job on the build.

great idea flatbed
i had to go a similar rout on my 68.

My brother was nice enough to give me a tool box for the back of my pickup. I agree that it's nice not having the stuff in the cab with you.

flat bed
i can hunt , fish, cut wood, burn wood sheetmetal work and run my boat all over the great lakes. but typing and this dang computer are new to me . ill get the pics on here as soon as i am able to lol. between all the things mentioned and working a ton of hours doing hvac my progress with this pc stuff is a little slow. ill manage to join the other forum and post the pics of my 68 soon. i have to tell you that bed on your truck is a strong lookin set up. i had to get a new bed . compromised with it, went with a lighter bed ,figured id be ok with it because i pull a 14 tandom axle to get a good load of wood in one shot. and cost came into play to.

Toolboxes under the deck would probably get too much dust and salt spray.

What's up with the noodles on the deck? Don't you noodle on the ground first so they're easier to lift up onto the deck?

I took the noodles home home to use for kindling in the outdoor woodstove.

The bed on my truck is the original factory bed from Ford. I've seen the same bed in 9' length (like mine) and 12' too on Ford trucks from the '30s through the later '70's. It is steel framed, and sits on some big timbers.
franceshitch001.jpg

The deck is wood planks with steel rub strips. the original owner covered the wood with steel plate years ago, and unfortunately, the wood is rotting now because of all trapped moisture under the steel plate. I want to redo it with some rough saw oak some time, but there are other more important upgrades to be done first.
newflaps003800x600.jpg

Very nice mod...wish I had a truck like that. Even though I have no need for it I like the Fords made in the mid 90's...solid.

savageactor7 said:
I like the Fords made in the mid 90's...solid.
You need to turn the calendar back another 20 - 25 years for quality like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.