New Gear: Dolmar PS 5100 - Seems very light and plenty of power

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zzr7ky

Minister of Fire
Jun 12, 2006
Hi -

I was shopping for a saw to replace the small Mac's that I had been using. They will be loaners, limbers now.

I went with the 3/6 .050" 18" chain/bar combination. Oregon full chisel chain. I'm cutting mostly Ash and Maple.

The saw seems to be very well made. Starts and runs well. Very light, strong. I like it.

I've run plenty of Stihl's and Huskys. I had been leaning towards a Husky 353. For about $400 delivered I'm very happy.
I'd recommend it to anyone. The Makita Dolmar 6300 and Husky 455 seem very heavy all of a sudden. A few tanks full and I'm SPOILED!

ATB,
Mike P

I have heard nothing but good things about these Dolmar PS 5100 chainsaws. There's not of lot of any long term info for the life of these saws. The only issue is lack of dealers and dealer support / parts . Nothing local per our state. Most people havent even heard of this brand. Congrads on the new saw.

Dolmar is now owned by Makita the same dolmar model has a makita counter part Domar Sacks was the loggers choice in the 80's
I have a dealer about 4 miles away he also sels Husky but recently his dolmars are out selling the Husky. Go figure he says part of the appeal is the same HP but better feel and lighter. That's what his buying customers claim.

We may have to expand the stihl ve Husky debate to include Makita/ Domar Or buy Makita's to advoid the debate

Hi -

Well I've run it a good bit. Took a stand of 18" Ash, and some various Oak, Hickory, and dead hard Maple. It really does a job and it is light. Nieghbor claims it's quieter than my small Mac's.

I also ran a Makita 6300... Cut like mad but seemed to weigh a ton compared to the PS5100. Spoiled already I suppose.

ATB,
Mike P

Roos -

It might have been you that turned me on to the Arborsite forum, which lead me to Amick's. Tony treated me very right. Don't forget to ad an extra chain on the order & file and guide for sharpening - saves on shipping.

I went with the 18" bar, 64 link 3/8 .050" since 90% of the saws go that way.

ATB
Mike P

zzr7ky said:
Roos -

It might have been you that turned me on to the Arborsite forum, which lead me to Amick's. Tony treated me very right. Don't forget to ad an extra chain on the order & file and guide for sharpening - saves on shipping.

I went with the 18" bar, 64 link 3/8 .050" since 90% of the saws go that way.

ATB
Mike P
I know that they have been getting a lot of good reveiws on that saw. If i didnt already have 2 Husqvarna 346xp i would of bought one.

Not a bad deal, tough as nails to be sure. However it is 2# heavier and 20% less horsepower... If you have the coin get the 5100.

ATB,
Mike P

Status
Not open for further replies.