new glass or what!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

k0wtz

Nov 30, 2010
missouri
i purchased a stardance l/p stove. the glass panel is very discolered. i cannot get it cleaned up seems to have some sort of finish put on the glass im assumming some sort of non shattering finish. so what is my alternatives

purchas a new glass very expensive or what?

thanks

bob

Go to Walmart & get a container of Ceramic Cooktop polish.
It's a kind of a paste/rubbing compound product.
It should work to clean the haze off the glass.
Do the Mr. Myagi "wax on wax off" motion to apply it.
Wipe it off with a soft towel.
If you're gonna replace the glass, which I believe is Pyroceram,
you're NOT gonna like the price.

well i did some searches here and looks like around 140.00 but i will have the wife pick some up to try i wonder about bonami also. what do you think?

bob

k0wtz said:
well i did some searches here and looks like around 140.00 but i will have the wife pick some up to try i wonder about bonami also. what do you think?

bob

Don't know about the Bonami. Is that a scouring powder?
If so it's too abrasive, & it'll damage the glass...

Gas fireplaces can develop a white film over the top of the glass. I work on these units every day and prefer to use SW22 or Rutland makes a product for cleaning glass called white off

I have had a lot of good luck with it

Please try to avoid using standard household cleaners unless they are specifically designed for your gas fireplace. Also, a lot of people try and replace the glass with glass from a local glass shop. I highly discourage this as it may not be the tempered or ceramic glass you need.

the glass is etched from so much heat im afraid. i was able to take a razor blade scraper and with the bonami clean it up pretty well. yes the glass is made by corning and is called pyroceram. i couldnt believe it was only 138.00 for a replacement i would not think tempered glass would hold up at all under the heat the stove puts out..

i used to sell cornings china call pyroceram but it got so expensvie noone could afford it any longer. this is the same stuff that goes on the nose cone of space vehicles.

bob

Status
Not open for further replies.