New guy and a question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigcube

Feb 27, 2008
Upstate NY
Hello! Newbie here. Hope to pick up some info on wood stoves. After dropping some coin to sleeve a chimney I had a big problem with a smoke filled house. As far as I can tell the sleeve put in is too small to support the stove. They used a 6" sleeve and I had an 8" coming out of the stove. I'm told my stove NEEDS an 8" chimney.

Couple of questions:

1, is my 30 year old Vermont Casting wood Vigilant worth keeping?
2, Do most newer stoves use a 6" pipe or an 8" pipe?

Reason for the questions is I just had a liner put in and now I'm told it's too small to support my stove, especially with a short chimney. If most new stoves are 6" would I be better off replacing the stove with a new one? Or make the "chimney expert" who put in too small of pipe to support my stove fix it with the correct size pipe? It has a full brick wall with a 6"x9" flue tiles in a brick chimney and a round opening 8" where the pipe went into the chimney. Is the round 8" hole big enough to fit the correct liner in? There seemed to be plenty of room around the 6" oval pipe that was installed down the middle of the chimney

In a 6x9 flue it would seem to me you couln't put in a liner any larger than a 6" diam. 6" is very common on today's stoves.

Yes there is 8" oval. Most stoves made now use 6" flues and you would burn much less wood for the same heat output. If its in your budget might be time for a new stove. You should check out the local Home Depot and Lowes, see if they have any Englanders on clearance left, although they are probably all gone by now.

The Vigilant is not tested with a 6" flue, thats why your seeing problems with it. I would find a dealer in your area, and look at 6" flue stoves.

ONe question that was not answered should you keep your 30 year old stove: not if you can afford to buy a new stove with secondary burn capabilities.

How much would a nice new stove with a glass door run? It would be heating a single story ranch, about 2000 sq ft. I am looking for something to throw a few logs in at night after work or occasionally run full time when my basement is flooded and the furnace is off. Well that and to cut down on the fuel oil bill. here's a pic of the area I'm working with.
StovePic.jpg

Please ignore the dust, it's a little cleaner now :)

Appreciate the advice. Thanks!

How well did the old beast heat the place before the liner? Was it often too hot, or not enough, or just right?

Offhand I'm thinking a Jotul F600 or Quad Isle Royale would do the job well if you want to stick with a cast iron stove. If a steel box is ok, check out every Home Depot in the region asap and see if you can find an Englander 30NC on sale.

I never used it until Monday night. When I moved in 10 years ago I had it checked and the flue tiles were cracked. I finally had the chimney fixed on Monday and set off the smoke detectors on Monday night. It did not get real hot and the summer time window fans were in blowing the smoke out. Seemed to smoke less with the doors open.

englander 50-30ncp or summersheat (see my signature) i just bought one.
home depot wants $1139+tax ,reg price but feb clearance (first & second weeks of feb)was marked down to as low as $500.oo to $850.oo
sorry, might be too late now, might be all sold out,probably, but you might find one left somewhere in your state
if you don't mind looking & driving for it.

At lowes, you get the same stove, built in the same factory, parts interchange but lowes calls it summersheat. I bought mine on clearance $476.oo out the door. Lowes reg price was $989.99

www.overstockstoves.com was selling them for $899.95 ,shipping included.

YOU NEED THE 2000 SQ FT SIZE, I THINK.

They don't come with blowers but www.englanderstoves.com sell blowers as an option
$159.99 & ship. well worth the money. Stove is set up with a knock out plate in the back heat shield to accept the blower.

50-30ncp or ncl rated to heat 2700 sq ft ,has 6 inch pipe collar, secondary burn so you get
the same heat with 1/3 the wood & no smoke polution.

Has a outside air inlet for outside primary combustion air if you want to hook it up, but you don't need to unelse you want to.

I didn't even need the stove, I just couldn't pass up that good of a deal.

It is probably a good idea to sell your old stove to some one else, this summer, because price of wood is sure to rise as more people can't afford their oil burners anymore & have to turn to wood stoves for heat.

wood will get scare & become more expensive. That is why I bought the summersheat
even though my old stove works great & is secondary burn , the summersheat will give me
the same heat with better wood mileage.

I think it could save me one or two cords of wood over the heating season.

I see a well seasoned cord , split & delivered selling for $275.oo, so that is something to think about.

I don't but wood, I go to dump & retreve wood. But, that takes time off when dump is open & a trailer or pick up truck.

That why I think a more wood efficient stove would pay for itself in just 2 or 3 heating seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.