New Guy, Class A Temperature Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pyromedic

Nov 29, 2013
NC
Hi All, I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.
I've searched the Forum in an attempt to get an answer to my question but really didn't find what I was looking for so I'll ask here.
My wife and I are building a new home and have purchased a Jotul F 500 wood stove. I installed a double wall Class A chimney through a chase and when I installed the storm collar used a product called Lexel to seal it since I had it on hand and it is superior to silicone for sealing and adhesion. It is a polyurethane based product. Later, I looked at the specifications for the product and learned that it should not be used where temperatures exceed 200 degrees F. Too late smart I guess.
http://www.sashco.com/hi/lexel.html
So, here is the question: what temperature can I expect the outside of the double wall chimney pipe to reach at the storm collar, approximately 25 feet above the stove? Is a sealant that can withstand only 200 degrees F sufficient?
Thank you for your responses in advance.

I've used regular silicone with no issues. I figure if the outside of the pipe up top gets hot enough to mess with the storm collae seal, that's the least of my worries...

Welcome to the forum pyromedic.

I doubt if you'll have a problem but if you do, it won't be difficult to fix.

Welcome to the forums! I wouldn't worry about it. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.