new guy- damper question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wccountryboy

Nov 9, 2008
NC
I've got an Englander 30NC, first year burning. So far, I'm loving it! When I installed the stove (I did it myself), I didn't put a damper in the stovepipe. What are the advantages to being able to control the exhaust flow? Will installing a damper result in more efficent burns and heat output? If so, how high above the flue collar shoud it be installed? Thanks!

wccountryboy said:
I've got an Englander 30NC, first year burning. So far, I'm loving it! When I installed the stove (I did it myself), I didn't put a damper in the stovepipe. What are the advantages to being able to control the exhaust flow? Will installing a damper result in more efficent burns and heat output? If so, how high above the flue collar shoud it be installed? Thanks!

Generally you you don't need a damper unless you run is opver 20 - 22 feet.
Install the damper about 5 feet from the floor so kids can't reach it...

Status
Not open for further replies.