New Guy; forced into burning for primary heat.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to admit I have been recently able with it 75% closed get a long burn time . This stove and the learning curve is total trial and error. I was burning through wood way too fast but now I can use less and get more heat.

The Wife gets it shut down to 75%. I can't but she says I'm being impatient. If I shut it down and the fire starts to slow too much and look like it's going out, I open it back up. I guess I need to be a bit more patient and give the fire time to recover.

Went down to zero last night. Last load went in about midnight. At 8am the house was still at 62° with enough coals to get the fire going again with minimal effort.

After staying warm during a zero degree night, my worries are now pretty much gone.

You have the fan turned up all the way? I also have been using my ceiling fan and have been able get the heat where I want it.

I usually run the fan on the insert at about 3/4. The ceiling fan and the small fan in the doorway are always on lowest setting.

Just a quick update:

Its 9° outside but 72° inside! Couldn't be happier with the little century.

Happy New Year everyone!

Just caught this thread. Classic Hearth, people helping and working together with fellow burners and internet "neighbors". Good job New Burner and Happy New Year to All!

Reactions: newburner
Yes the Century is doing a great job. My family room is a consistent 71, kitchen 68 and dining room 66. My house isn't really laid out for a stove to heat the whole house. But the first floor is comfortable.

Just a quick update:

Its 9° outside but 72° inside! Couldn't be happier with the little century.

Happy New Year everyone!

How often are you reloading? It's a shame the century is so small. I start with a few bricks and 2 splits. Then every couple hours.

We are usually reloading every 2 to 3 hours depending on room temps. The past few days have been pretty cold so it probably been closer to every 2 hours.

Reloads consist of 2 splits of hardwood across the coals then 1 split of pine diagonal across the top. Ignition is usually instant.

For Overnight, we've been putting 2 small hardwood splits across the coals then one of those Redstone fuel blocks (from Tractor Supply) on top of that. Then we put a bio brick on either side of the fuel block. Once that's going pretty good, we can shut the air all the way down and go to bed. That config usually lasts 7-8 hours so there's plenty of coals to re-light in the morning.

My friend just installed a new insert (epa) I brought over 10 redstones last night to try out, He loved them, he was amazed that 4 little bricks gave him a 4 hour hot clean burn, It was the topic of the night.

Nice thing with the Century is that you can shut it all the way down with the bricks and it will still burn. I think even shut down there is still a nice draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.