New guy furnace ?'s

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sierra53

Aug 12, 2014
Ky
Hello everybody. Names Tom. To make It short, bought a house a couple years ago here in east ky, about 1500 sq ft with no heat setup. It's VERY well insulated and we heated it last year with 5 infrared heaters from tractor supply. I'm looking at the Englander 3000sq ft furnace from Home Depot cause it's the cheapest I've found with the most sq ft. I'll have to run my chimney (20-25ft guessing) and new ductwork. So my ?'s are will the Englander do the job and is triple wall pipe the best way to go? I know the only other option is to build a chimney but I think it would be the same cost considering the length I have to go. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks

I think in that case (an existing house with no heat setup to start with [which I find rather odd?]), I would consider a mini-split heat pump before trying to retrofit a distribution system, and fit a chimney in. Retrofitting can be a real big challenge. It could also do A/C if needed - and be a way simpler install.

Also question the triple wall pipe you mention as a chimney - I don't know what that is, and not sure I understood right, but if doing a chimney I would use the stainless insulated stuff that is rated for that.

What's your wood situation?

That's way to big. If going to go with wood, get the smallest stove out there. For the price of chimney and the works, the ductless heat pump is the way to go. WAY more bang for your buck.

Reactions: flyingcow
Class A insulated double wall makes a way better chimney for a wood fired appliance. Triple wall is air cooled, allows creosote to form and could cause draft issues. If you have a Menards close to you, they have Supervent Class A for $59 (sale price) per 3' section occasionally. Probably will see that sale again in Sept would be my guess, if they follow suite with last year, and they usually do.
Would a free standing stove work for you? Englander NC30, $899 at HD and others...
The Englander furnace would be a lot for your seemingly small heat load, may run ya right outta the house, hafta use the window stats! Depending on the layout of your house, you may be able to get away with minimal cost/work in ducts. I put a wood furnace in my sisters house, I ran separate ducting from the existing HVAC due to logistics and clearance issues on existing. Wasn't too bad, four 7" runs, two short, two about 25-30', had to cut in two registers, all in all, not a bad job as far as work/$$. Depends on your house though, my house would be problematic to add duct work to.
Mini split heat pump is a good idea for "main" source of heat/A/C, then "supplement" with a free standing stove (or insert if you have a fireplace)(NO source of heat? really?) I have forced air oil for my "main" heat, but it only runs if we are away for more than a whole day...so, very little.

Reactions: flyingcow
Well, it had baseboard heaters that halfway worked and beat up half missing duct work from an old coal furnace (wish it was all still there but anyway). I've got a full basement that's pretty much empty. Running the ductwork and cutting vents are no biggy at all. I'll check into that double wall, thanks for that. We ride the side by side through the hills all the time, so I'd just bring it in that way. Wood is abundant and everywhere here so that's no biggy either, by the time I save up for my project my wood will be dried out so hahaha. I'm just sick of our electric bill and need to slash them quickly. We had a propane heater 30,000btu that was a dream but a little pricey. Sure did the trick though. I saw where someone (and I thought about it too) had a freestanding stove in there basement and just let the heat rise. Should work? Maybe cut a few vents to let it flow up better? Anyway, really appreciate the quick replies. And yeah we looked at those ductless heat pump things. Didn't know anybody that used them or any kinda feedback. I'll check them out again. Are they fairly cheap to run?

The Englander 28-3500 furnace will run you out of the house. I have 1800 sqft in SECT. Installed the 28-3500 in Dec 12, so heated with it spring of 13 and all of the 13/14 winter. It's a low cost, quality unit, belts out the heat, but looks too large for your needs.

Reactions: BrotherBart
Status
Not open for further replies.