New guy- glad I found this site!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bmkole

Nov 9, 2014
Upstate NY
I am glad I found this site. Just moved into a new house in August with an Oslo stove. I've never burned wood before so I've got a lot to learn. First, a little about my stove. It's an Oslo. Looks older. About a month ago, I gave it a good cleaning and found a few things. Both side plates were cracked. The one on the side door was worse, cracked almost 2/3 of the way across and warped pretty badly. I replaced that one and the insulation. The other is only a slight fracture. I will replace that one at some point. (Parts ain't cheap). The glass is ruined. I tried to clean it but it is frosted. It will be replaced at some point as well, I'd like to eventually see the flames! The last thing I found was the handle to ash door is slightly damaged. The wood handle is a little "bent". (Actually the screw is bent). It works for now, and like the others, will be replaced, eventually. When I probed some local shops as to why the plates are cracked, I was told "overheating", most likely bad door seals. All the seals look good.

I explained all of that as a preclude. I've been burning for about a week now, and I'm starting to get the hang of it. Still experimenting with getting the perfect load for overnight burns, had a few hot coals in there this morning, after about 6-7hrs do there is some progress. My biggest issue is getting the reload fired up. I thought I found a solution this morning when I happened to open the ash door after a reload. You would have thought I just discovered fire for the first time! I did it a few more times throughout the day and even showed my wife, "hey check this out!" Then, I found this site. After reading the cautions of doing this it all started to add up. The cracked and warped side plate, the bent ash door handle. I've learned quickly over the past couple months that the previous owner viewed himself somewhat of a handyman savant, who wasn't afraid to take shortcuts! I'm sure he used this "feature" regularly, which probably caused the over fire conditions I've yet to see for myself. Needless to say, thanks to this forum, I won't be doing the ole ash door trick anymore. I will also be visiting daily looking for more tips and advice. Thanks in advance!

Welcome. The next time the stove is cleaned check for cracks in the base around the grate. This typically happens when the ash pan door is used to frequently light the fire in a cold stove.

My biggest issue is getting the reload fired up.

Getting the reloaded wood to burn in a warm stove should actually be one of the easier tasks. Do you know how dry your wood is? How long has it been split and stacked in the open with lots of sun and wind exposure? And how tall is your flue? Is it 6" all the way to the top?

One of the first things I did after moving in was to get the chimney inspected and cleaned. Found out the stove was direct connect and that I needed to have a liner installed. I have a 6" insulated liner all the way to the cap. Probably about 15' - 20' total run. It's a single level home and the chimney runs up past the peak.

As for fuel, I suspect it's a little green. Again, this is my first year burning. We got a late start looking for wood. We went with someone reasonably priced who could deliver right away. Wood was supposed to be seasoned 6-8 months. Some is definitely drier than the majority. Next year I will buy in the spring and stack myself so I know exactly what I have.

One thing I'm curious about is the vent. When I cleaned the stove, I took off the vent cover to see what the mechanism was. It looks straight forward, It sticks a little in the middle where it pivots, but I couldn't for the life of me see where the vent chamber gets the air. I don't see any inlet ports. I wanted to clean them and make sure they were clear. It dead appear to work. When I have a good burn, I can see a significant change in the flames when I toggle the vent. It doesn't seem to do a lot when there is a small flame. From what ive observed, it very well could be fuel.

I have to admit, so far, nothing beats wood heat!

Random thoughts ...

Ash pan .... yeah ... it's a very, very, very bad idea to leave the ash pan door ajar ... a search here will show at least a couple of folks who did not know this and as a result damaged their stove. Definitely inspect the base the next time the stove is cool enough.

Stove .... sounds like the previous owner really used and abused that poor stove. I'm on year 8 and have yet to repair or replace anything on this stove. When taken care of this stove is near bullet proof and will crank out heat with no major expenses for years.

Reloading the stove ... open air, load, leave side door ajar if needed ... once temp is up shut door and start adjusting air control.

Air ... comes in through the back down low. You may want to find this inlet ... if you ever get a fire that is starting to run away from you (it's rare ... has happened maybe three times when I loaded up the stove with primo wood and didn't close down the air soon enough) ... you can slow things up by taking a folded piece of aluminum foil and partially blocking the inlet. By the way, powdered graphite may help with the sticking air control lever.

Thanks for all the info! I actually still had a really good bed of coals this morning and the stove temp was still around 200-225 degrees... First successful overnight burn! I'll cean out and inspect the base today afterwork, it's usually cooled off by then. I'll also take a look for those inlets. Thanks again!

Picked a meter from harbor freight. Did some random sampling in the dark. My "good" wood is reading around 15% and is few in numbers. The majority splits are reading 25-30%. SMH....

Status
Not open for further replies.