New guy here

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RS In KY

I didn’t see a new member introduction thread. I would like to thank all of the members here. I have been taking advantage of the seemingly limitless amount of info on this forum for a while. We bought our home in July. It’s around 1800 sq ft. A ranch with an open floor plan and cathedral ceilings. We moved out to a rural area and coming from “the city” overlooked a few things. We knew when we bought the house that the only heat source was a heat pump with the normal heat strips. Having land and spending a majority of my younger summers cutting firewood we planned on having a wood burner installed. The house has a vent free propane fireplace installed in the main room. Funny thing was there is also a chimney that upon further inspection revealed a triple wall pipe with the interior being a flexible liner. The plan was to have a zero clearance wood burner installed but couldn’t get anyone out to look at the existing set up for quite some time. The original owner had a pellet stove installed in the basement. It’s completely finished. The stove was no longer there. I just installed a USSC 5502M that I picked up at TSC on clearance for $800. It’s doing pretty good at keeping the electric heat from coming on. I installed it using the existing hole in the foundation. It has a clean out T on the back of the stove with about 4 feet of interior vertical pipe to a 90 and straight out through the foundation. There is a cold air return about 6 feet from the stove so I am able to run the furnace fan and move the warm air. Once the wood burner is installed this will be used only when we re in the basement and maybe just to heat the lower level to around 60 degrees or so.

Looking forward to all of the input as we move forward with our next project.

Thanks again for all of the input!

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have things figured out. Stay warm. kap

Reactions: bags
Found ya! Welcome aboard. I talked to you earlier. Good to have another local Bluegrass pellet / wood burner here. Catch you around or you know how to get me. Good Luck! I could look at what you have and give you my thoughts and / or insights.

Reactions: kappel15