new guy here

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shoobie

Jan 15, 2011
South Jersey
Hi everyone, new to this site. Have been burning 3 to 4 cords a year in a Kent Tile fire for 23 yrs. Moving the Kent out to my shop and puchasing a
VC Encore 2 in 1 for the house ( about 2000 sq. ft.) should be installed Tuesday. Been lurking for awhile. Lots of good info here, Thanks.

not sure what a kent tile stove is, but it will interesting to see how much the wood consumption changes, welcome to the forum

Kents are nice stoves the VC should be more efficient , the 2 in 1 looks like a nice burner but too new to evaluate. Keep us posted on your findings

Defiant said:
Kents are nice stoves the VC should be more efficient

If it's the non-cat, I would take the other side of that last part.

Welcome to the forum, shoobie.

pyro, I saw your signature, and I am curious as to what a "modified" tile fire is? I have a kent and am looking for better ways to heat my house with it.

shoobie said:
Hi everyone, new to this site. Have been burning 3 to 4 cords a year in a Kent Tile fire for 23 yrs. Moving the Kent out to my shop and puchasing a
VC Encore 2 in 1 for the house ( about 2000 sq. ft.) should be installed Tuesday. Been lurking for awhile. Lots of good info here, Thanks.

Welcome to the forum shoobie.

It sounds like you are doing very well and I hope the new stove works out great for you.

One thing I have to wonder about is your present and past burning practices. We see over and over and over about the "old ways" of burning wood. Cut the wood in the fall and burn it that winter. With the newer stoves you definitely need good dry wood. That is why this old wood burner always states you should be 2-3 years ahead on your wood supply. That 2-3 years ahead does not count any time before the wood is split! We count the time following the wood splitting.

Good luck and we will also be looking for some of your wisdom you can pass along to others.

Welcome the the group. Congrats on the new stove and please give us updates. I had 2 VC in the past. The top load feature is great, I really miss it and also the big ash pan. Congrats again.

Hey Shoobie,
Where are you in Jersey? Saw your post and had to ask. Im kind of S. Jersey and know a Shoobie. Cant be that many out there. Get back to me.
Logger

Thanks for warm welcome. I'll let you all know how they compare. I want to try the VC without the Cat and with it. The Tile Fire is still in great shape and has served us well. It will still be used in my shop, kind of retired.

logger said:
Hey Shoobie,
Where are you in Jersey? Saw your post and had to ask. Im kind of S. Jersey and know a Shoobie. Cant be that many out there. Get back to me.
Logger

Funny stuff! :) :) :) Been living in Atlantic County for 25 years, many friends still consider me a shoobie. in a friendly sort of way.

shoobie said:
Thanks for warm welcome. I'll let you all know how they compare. I want to try the VC without the Cat and with it. The Tile Fire is still in great shape and has served us well. It will still be used in my shop, kind of retired.

logger said:
Hey Shoobie,
Logger

Funny stuff! :) :) :) Been living in Atlantic County for 25 years, many friends still consider me a shoobie. in a friendly sort of way.
Gotcha. Im from Ocean County (also somewhat S. Jerz) and went to school with a Shoobie. Guess theres more than one.. see you around the threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.