new guy here...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

abj1969

Sep 17, 2007
S.Jersey
man what a forum.. tons of information. well after some silly oil bills last winter the girlfrind and i decided we were going to buy a wood or pellet stove... we shopped at a few different stores in the area and as soon as we saw the hearthstone tribute we decided that was what we wanted. it was just installed this past monday. we love the way it looks and can't wait to really start burning. i've only had time to have one breakin frie so far. then it decided to goto 80* around here the last few days. anyways i hope to learn alot about burning this winter and hopefully if i have questions you guys can help me out. i guess right off the bat i'll ask if you have any tips,tricks or advice for us and our first wood stove?

Attachments

• DSC01435.JPG
    DSC01435.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 415
Yep, get rid of the curtains, they look close. That or they may get rid of themselves.

lol.. we did.. the pic was taken right after it was installed.. thanks for the advice.

Great install! Now we wanna see pics of your woodpile and tell us the story abut where the wood came from. YES, that's what we talk about here!

only have a tiny wood pile at this point. i'd say just under a cord. looks like i'm a light weight compared to some of you guys. i got it at a place around the corner. i have two more cords coming in a week so hopefully that will get me through this winter. next year i have a friend that has a tree business that will drop wood off for me and i'll just have to cut and split it. i'll really put my 12 year old to work..

HI abj,

Watch that TV. That is a little to close for my comfort. those have sensitive electronics and I don't know what will happens once you get your tribute cranking in February.

I like the install. Love the yellow walls too. Another person with some guts that gets away from the off whites. Good.

As to your wood pile. The more the better and if your friend drops it off, all the easier. Split and stack way more than you think you need, and you will barely have enough. Remember, those low oil bills will get adictive after a while.

Finally a good way for your 12 year old to earn an allowance. Get him off his lazy butt and do something. My oldest is 4 so I have to wait a little while, but I cannot wait until I have 3 teenager sons to help with the wood. Although I will not be looking forward to the food bills, I have been told.

Carpniels

Good looking install! Welcome to hearth.com and lower heating bills :)

enord said:
if u cant hold hand on wall , because wall is hot, when stove is cranking, clearance isnt enough.
dont forget power outages.

How far does the stove have to be from a power outage?

Whats under the hood of that Dart?

babalu87 said:

its is a 360 with edelbrock heads. run a best of 12.17 at 108.8 mph.

abj1969 said:
babalu87 said:

Ah those were the days. Lay a twenty on the dash, floor it and tell the passenger they could have it if they could get unglued from the seat enough to reach it.

1970 Challenger 440 six pack.

Love the yellow walls too. Another person with some guts that gets away from the off whites. Good.

lol.. thanks.. the entire house was white or off white when we moved in. the first thing we did was add color. did the entire house in historic philadelphia colors from finnaren & haley.

thanks for the welcome guys. and thanks for the tips.. i guess this year will be a learning experience as far as getting used to how the stove burns. i have no idea on how much wood i'll need.. i will have about three cords when all is said and done for the winter. the house isn't huge , about 1000 sq feet living area and the stove is suposed to do 1300 sq feet. so hopefully it will heat us up enough. i burnt another break in fire today and i can't believe how long the stones stay warm.

Welcome adj, you've got a great stove. Soapstone requires that you think ahead somewhat. What you burn this hour will be benefiting you next hour and several hours to come after that. Since you've got the stove end all taken care of, now it's all about the wood. Hopefully your wood supplier has truly seasoned your wood cause thats what you would really like to have, not something that sizzles a bit before it burns. The best way to make sure that you have really seasoned wood is to do it yourself and to start working on next years wood as soon as possible (now?) and then the year afters supply. If you can get two years out you'll have nice really dry firewood to keep that stove truly working its best. Great you've got a tree service friend. Take good care of him!! Enjoy!!

BrotherBart said:
abj1969 said:
babalu87 said:

Ah those were the days. Lay a twenty on the dash, floor it and tell the passenger they could have it if they could get unglued from the seat enough to reach it.

1970 Challenger 440 six pack.

oh man a 6 pack chally.. that baby had to run....

had the dart at the track yesterday.. best run was a 12.29 . something in the ignition took a crap i think. won't start.. think the MSD box may have gone. here is a launch pic from yesterday.

DSC_2472.jpg

jpl1nh said:
Welcome adj, you've got a great stove. Soapstone requires that you think ahead somewhat. What you burn this hour will be benefiting you next hour and several hours to come after that. Since you've got the stove end all taken care of, now it's all about the wood. Hopefully your wood supplier has truly seasoned your wood cause thats what you would really like to have, not something that sizzles a bit before it burns. The best way to make sure that you have really seasoned wood is to do it yourself and to start working on next years wood as soon as possible (now?) and then the year afters supply. If you can get two years out you'll have nice really dry firewood to keep that stove truly working its best. Great you've got a tree service friend. Take good care of him!! Enjoy!!

thanks. this year we thought and bought the stove too late to be up on the wood.. i'll probably have to buy wood for next year too but i'll also have the tree guy wood there for the following year. guess i have to play catch up now.

abj1969 said:
oh man a 6 pack chally.. that baby had to run....

Yep. Paid for my beer on the back roads of Lubbock, Texas for a while. The money went almost straight from the Army paymaster's hands to the Sales Manager at the Dodge dealership. It only stopped off in my pocket for a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.