New guy looking for clearance help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yahskids

Nov 27, 2007
Northern Minnesota
I have a new century stove that I hope to install soon. It is already getting below zero here. I have never installed a stove. I plane to intal in my living room through the wall with the chimney. I read a little on NFPA 211 and my stove has a rear clearance of 14". I would like to reduce this so the stove an below platform wont have to stick out as much. I thought of building a brick or stone backing against the wall which according to the table and if my math is good this would reduce 33% to about 9" is this right? If it is I will get double wall pipe for interior. And do I need to go out 18" or 16" in front of stove with the platform?

The manual for the stove should detail if any further clearance reductions from "stock" are available. NFPA does not come into focus here because it calls for a minimum of 12" no matter what you do, so you would only save 2" - not really worth it. So look close at the manual and if nothing is detailed there, then I suggest using the 14".

As far as front clearance, the manual also states that. But NFPA has changed to 18" and it just may be that manufacturers and labs will start requiring that, so it would prob be a good idea to go with the newer 18" spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.