New guy, looking for suggestions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FIRENSMOKE

Aug 31, 2015
Mid Atlantic
Hello all....I have been contemplating installing a wood stove and chimney pipe in my house for the past year now. I have done lots of research on some stoves that I am interested in, and while researching found this forum that had lots of information. I figured I would join, and ask for some suggestions as this will be a big purchase (stove, chimney pipe, hearth pad) and I do not want waste money.

I live in a split foyer home that is 1920 sq. feet. My only current source of heat is central air via heat pump, which I am sure everyone knows can run the electric bill up in the winter time. I love wood stoves, and I am not afraid of physical labor to save money on heating.

I have been looking at the Englander NC30, as well as the Woodpro WS-TS-2000. I am looking to heat a majority of the house. My idea was to place it in the basement, however the only good location to put it is in the back right corner of the house in the walk out portion of the basement. I am also thinking on a budget as well, as I am sure most people do. I am trying to figure out if either of these stoves would be a good idea or am I not looking at the right kind.

Thanks for your time!

Welcome.

The general rules to consider:
A wood stove in the basement will heat the zone very well but you have to get the air moving to heat to the other areas. Relying on heat rising to the rest of the house on it's own won't work. You could use the fan in your existing heat pump, especially if it is a DC motor which runs very cheaply.
If the basement is unfinished/uninsulated, a lot of heat will be lost through the walls.
A main floor location and a central location is preferable but ideal locations are not possible many times.
If you have to buy wood, it can be expensive in some areas and you need to buy well seasoned wood right now, get it split and stacked now and you might be able to use it later this winter when it dries enough. Very few places sell wood that is dry enough to use right away. Using wood that is not dry enough is the #1 cause of poor performance & frustration. IOW, buy the wood, then the stove.

Sorry, can't help you on either stove as I haven't owned one. 2000 sq ft is a large area but not impossible. You might consider 2 stoves at each end on different levels.

Reactions: FIRENSMOKE
Welcome.

The general rules to consider:
A wood stove in the basement will heat the zone very well but you have to get the air moving to heat to the other areas. Relying on heat rising to the rest of the house on it's own won't work. You could use the fan in your existing heat pump, especially if it is a DC motor which runs very cheaply.
If the basement is unfinished/uninsulated, a lot of heat will be lost through the walls.
A main floor location and a central location is preferable but ideal locations are not possible many times.
If you have to buy wood, it can be expensive in some areas and you need to buy well seasoned wood right now, get it split and stacked now and you might be able to use it later this winter when it dries enough. Very few places sell wood that is dry enough to use right away. Using wood that is not dry enough is the #1 cause of poor performance & frustration. IOW, buy the wood, then the stove.

Sorry, can't help you on either stove as I haven't owned one. 2000 sq ft is a large area but not impossible. You might consider 2 stoves at each end on different levels.

I have about a cord and a half of split white oak, that has been seasoning for about 1 1/2 years....glad that I have something to start with. My idea was that once I get a wood stove, I would start finding wood, and splitting and stacking for the next season a season before. Not sure if that made any sense how I worded it, but I think you get what I am trying to say. I work for the fire department, and I have seen the results of burning un-seasoned wood. Thanks for your help!

Couple thoughts;
The Englander is well thought of and good bang for the buck, have not heard anything on the Woodpro either way.

Echoing the above, if the basement area is insulated then your plan may work. If not you'll have less success. If you are currently heating w/ a heat pump you may be OK. The walk out basement may be a plus for getting wood in and out.

Having the stove close to the areas where you spend most of your time ensures the heat will be where you need it.

If you can post a sketch of your layout and folks can assess what your chimney requirements and how well you'll be able to move heated air.

I have about a cord and a half of split white oak, that has been seasoning for about 1 1/2 years....glad that I have something to start with.

Welcome to the forum!

That's a start but if you are looking for a large stove like the 30NC you will more likely need 4 to 5 cords per winter. Also, wood (especially oak) should be split and stacked at least 2 summers, better 3, in advance. I recommend to get going on that before you even have bought the stove.

The 30NC is a well-liked heater around here with about the best price to performance ratio you can find. Another large budget heater would be the Drolet Myriad/Baltic or the HT2000. I agree with the others about the problems of a basement install, though.

What area are you in? Heat pump only suggests you are in a temperate climate. That can change your needs substantially. Need to know what your sustainable wood supply will be before you can decide if it's worth it. Might look at a pellet stove too.

Thanks everyone

Wood supply will not be a huge issue for me. I just need to get more, split, and stacked (obviously). I am in the Winchester area of Virginia, and I agree with you CT Burner on the heat pump. It did a decent job of heating the house last winter, but it took a toll on the electric bill. I am personally not a fan of heat pumps, however I do not have natural gas, and the price of the house was way to good to pass up at the time, especially being a young guy starting out. Last winter was fairly cold for the area, it got below freezing and stayed there for most of the winter with the occasional day here and there. I know that is probably considered a warm winter for most people up north.

My basement is fully finished, and insulated. I can try to make up a sketch and post it. I have also (as mentioned) thought about a pellet stove, but I would rather do the physical labor fetching, and splitting wood if it would help me save money. My soon to be in laws have a Jotul ( and I understand we are talking about 2 totally different stoves) and they live in the Shenandoah area, and they go threw between 2-3 cords a winter.

I agree with the idea that you put the stove where you want the heat. Think of stove as a space heater. If you spend a lot of time in the finished basement, then put it there. Also, remember that unless someone is home to feed it, you're probably not going to get full day burns from these units. So trying to heat a cold house when you get home from work from a stove in a corner of the basement may not work well.

Here is the basement layout (forgive me for the poor drawings)

upload_2015-9-1_20-50-59.png

Top floor/Living area

upload_2015-9-1_21-6-19.png

One idea I had:

Cut air registers into the ceiling where the floor registers are in the rooms, to allow the heat to rise into them. Just an idea....No idea if it would work. I also understand that the proposed stove location is kind of out of the way given the layout, but it is one of the only places that I can really put it do to location of windows, outside condenser Unit, and not being able to have an area to put the chimney pipe (unless I ran it straight through a room. I have not thought about putting it upstairs in the living room to much, but it is an idea.

I agree with the idea that you put the stove where you want the heat. Think of stove as a space heater. If you spend a lot of time in the finished basement, then put it there. Also, remember that unless someone is home to feed it, you're probably not going to get full day burns from these units. So trying to heat a cold house when you get home from work from a stove in a corner of the basement may not work well.

I completely understand that. I do not have an issue with using my central heating system. I am just trying to knock down the heating cost, even if it is not completely eliminated. I have always wanted a wood stove, but I also don"t want to make a dumb decision and messing up a potentially big investment. Hope that makes sense?

How much are you actually using the basement? The proposed location does not look very good when the stove is supposed to heat mostly the upstairs. And before cutting registers check with your local fire code and consider fusable link dampers that shut automatically in case of a fire.

Everyone is different but our insert has quickly become the favorite place to hang out in front of to enjoy the heat and fireview. Placing it in the living room may give you the same experience.

If you want to heat the basement, put it in the basement.

If you want to heat the main floor, put it on the main floor.

Wood stoves are a lot of work (enjoyable though). You don't want to have to worry about moving the heat all over and upstairs as well. Keep it simple.

Might want to skip burning this year in order to cut and stack more wood. Unless you have access to kiln dried or compressed bricks. Plus you can save more money to get a better stove. Better as in one with a cat in it. You don't really get bitter winters there so a cat stove might be a good addition to the heat pump. Nice long burns and the ability to keep the heat output low might be just the ticket for you.

My first house with a wood stove had a heat pump. The air handler and ducting (slightly insulated) was all in the attic with a single return in the ceiling of the main level. Basically, this made me have to choose between either wood heat or the pump because if the pump came on, it took the hottest air off the ceiling and cooled it...which did not make me happy. If your air handler and ducting is all in heated space, this may not be an issue for you and that can help you as stated above and would not be counter productive when it kicks in to fill in the gaps.

Where the thermostat is matters too. If it is at the top of the stairs where heat from the stove hits it hardest, then the rest of the house can get pretty chilly with a dying fire before the heat kicks in!

Whatever room you put the stove in may become your favorite space in the winter so consider that!

Whatever room you put the stove in may become your favorite space in the winter so consider that!
+100 on this. Looks like you have two options; rec room or the living/dining room area upstairs. Where do you spend your time? Where's the TV? Where do you hang out when you come home at night? Where do you spend weekends? That's where you should put the stove.

+ whatever to folks suggesting that you put the stove on the floor where you spend most of your time.

a) You get the direct benefit of the heat . . . especially any radiant heat coming off the stove. There are few things more pleasant than coming in after shoveling snow or going on a long, cold snowmobile ride and plunking down in my easy chair in front of the woodstove and sucking up the heat.

b) You will be able to see where in the burning cycle the fire is and whether you need to load the stove sooner or later . . . without having to take a detour downstairs. And even if you know it's too early to load the stove, it's always nice to be able to glance over at the fire and thermometers and see that it's running at the right temps vs. having to make a special trip downstairs. Whenever I pass by my stove in the winter I give it a quick look over to insure it's running at the right temp.

c) You will get the benefit of "caveman TV." Fire is cool (how's that for an oxymoron?) Watching a fire can be a mesmerizing experience. At least a few times during the course of the heating season I will turn off the TV and just watch the fire for a bit . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.