New Guy...New Woodshed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingvranch

Oct 20, 2010
Huntsville, Tx.
Hello all. I have been lurking here all last winter. This year I finally built my wood shed taking some ideas from all of the great designs presented here. I built it using wood that I milled myself using a Granberg chainsaw mill. I used Loblolly Pine for the sides. It measures 8 x 16 and has about 4 inches of crushed granite for the base over sheet plastic. Hopefully this will help keep the termites at bay. Now I just have to fill it up.....

Attachments

• woodshed.jpg
    woodshed.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 723
That's a great looking shed and welcome.

I really like the looks of your milled lumber! :)

Might I suggest instead of stacking your wood side-to-side (left to right) that instead you stack your row back-to-front. If stacking side-to-side then 'last in/first out' applies where 'last in' might not be as seasoned as 'first in'.

Shari

Excellent woodshed! Welcome to the forum!

Ray

Shari said:
I really like the looks of your milled lumber! :)

Might I suggest instead of stacking your wood side-to-side (left to right) that instead you stack your row back-to-front. If stacking side-to-side then 'last in/first out' applies where 'last in' might not be as seasoned as 'first in'.

Shari

I am planning on doing just as you described in the left hand bay. The wood in the right hand bay is some ready to burn from last year. I want to leave that area pretty much open so that I can push a wheelbarrow in and load up out of the rain etc.

Nice looking shed, how much wood do you think it holds?

zap

zap

My shed is about the same size. If its STUFFED,(mine is not, i have a cord+ around the yard) it'll fit about 5 cords.

Attachments

• full shed 2.jpg
    full shed 2.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 548
Great looking shed.
The rough cut sides with air gaps (good idea) is very cool looking. Adds class!
Should hold 5 cords+ anyway.

Welcome, by the way.

Now lets get down to buusiness
What kind of wood are you cutting?
next:
FILL IT UP will ya. :)

Good job
Again, welcome. Fun site with lots of fun guys with lots of wood burning knowledge.

Very nice. Welcome to the forums. You'll find that we do love some good wood pr0n around here, so post pics as you fill that shed!

That's a nice shed. How haard is it to mill your own. I've been thinking about it

Welcome to the form FlyingVranch!!!!

Great looking shed. I like the milled sides too.

Billy

Gotta love a good wood shed.

Welcome to the forum flyingvranch.

That is a nice looking shed and you did have the right idea with leaving some openings for air to get in. It is special too because you milled your own lumber. Very nice.

Milling using a chainsaw mill is a little work, but it's gratifying work. I usually try to mill any dead standing timber on my ranch. I hate to see a good lumber tree go to waste. It certainly helps to have a tractor with a front end loader to maneuver the logs to be cut. Thanks again for all of the welcomes and all of the compliments folks!

Nice woodshed FlyingV

I think I can safely say that it is extremely PIMP! Don't worry, they say that it's a good thing, and it's not illegal either.

Looks like I got to the party a little late FlyingV, but that's a nice shed. It's great that you scored the posts from the power Co., and milled your own siding.
The shed looks great, and should keep the firewood nice and dry.
I loaded mine the same way, with the left side loaded first, and after I get through with burning the scrounged stuff, the left side is where I'll start pulling from.
Welcome to the Hearth, too. I think you'll like it here,.... we do. :coolsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.