New Guy Saying Hello + Some ?'s -- Is there a Chimney Sweep Association? Cost of Installation?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drobs

Apr 1, 2009
Overseas
Hi there,

New guy checking in. Am overseas (orig. from IL) but am looking to buy my 1st house within the next year. Looking for a place with land an trees.
Have been looking for a house that has a fireplace or wood stove already in place but will probably need to add a wood burning stove on my own.

Sorry if this question has already been asked 1000 times before, but is there a national association of Chimney Sweeps or what should I look for in a Chimney Sweep to install a wood burning stove?

Also, what are some average installation costs or what should I expect to pay for installation?
Understand, this is a general question, but what's an average for installation to includel cutting hole in ceiling, installing piping, insulation, and a complete job minus the actual cost of the stove and equipment?

I've been looking all over the US for a house with land (ideally 20 to 40+ acres). I have found a newer 1 story house (+ attic) in Missouri that I'm interested in. It is on 6 acres backed up to a state land. I believe there is other land (40 acres) available in the area w/o houses on it. Thinking I will try to buy the house and buy some land separately for hunting and wood.

After living in the Chicago area, and crawling over people, I'm ready to escape to the wilderness.

The Chimney Safety Institute of America has a certification program and there is the National Chimney Sweep Guild (their website has a search for members in any state.)

Status
Not open for further replies.