1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

New Guy - Saying Hello with Pics!

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by LuckyLane, Feb 16, 2013.

1. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

And another near Middleburgh Hts where I work!! They are now EVERYWHERE!!!

Although, the Ashland store is still the "Fin" in my opinion. Always will be the best. ;)
    Locust Post likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Boog

Boog Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Where is the new store in Canton? I've only ever seen them with a small setup at gun shows.
  3. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Welcome, LL! Looks like it won't be long until you're enjoying the great feeling of being many years ahead on your wood. :cool:
    After looking at the first set of pics with the Cherry and what looks like Crottenwood, I began to wonder if you had any high-output wood in the stacks. ==c The BL will be good in a couple of years, but have you been burning some longer-lasting stuff this year? Maybe you got some dead standing wood last year that was dry enough to use this season?
  4. Locust Post

Locust Post Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast Ohio
    Across from Belden Village Mall (southeast corner of the mall) across the street by Mulligans Pub
  5. Boog

Boog Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    That's going to be a problem...............I'm right by the mall about 3 times a year doing some biosafety consulting for a client............... money in ------>------>money out!
  6. LuckyLane

LuckyLane Member

Loc:
    North Central Ohio
    My stacks are primarily locust (75%) with some cherry, maple, pine, and a few other species that I cannot identify making up the balance. The 2 cords I've burned this winter were split and stacked last winter. Being new, I did purchase a moisture meter and the wood I'm burning is measuring between 17-20%. I think a lot has to do with the location of my stacks. High point on the property, stacked east to west, full southern exposure with no shade, and minimum of a foot between each row. Here's a picture from this evening.

IMG_1373.JPG

Came home from work around 6:00, put 3-4 splits (cherry, locust, and pine) on after raking the coals to one side and took this picture shortly after 8:00 pm. This will produce decent heat until i reload for the night around 10:00. I'm getting good secondary burn and decent ignition on coals after 10 or so hours. I have run into some less than ideal wood in the stack and the difference is immediately noticeable. I can't wait until next winter to try 2 year seasoned wood!
  7. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Last year wasn't bad but this is the first year I've had really dry wood to burn (two-year stacked dead standing Ash, Red Oak and BL,) even though I've been burning for about 25 years. ;lol:rolleyes:
    I don't have a tube stove but I can tell you, now that I'm burning <17% wood I'm really lovin' it!! :cool: