New Guy... Thanks and Please Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzyk

Oct 24, 2008
schoharie county ny
First off, thank you all! This site have proved a wealth of information, opinions, and other interesting whatnot. So thank you, I'm proud to be a (new) member.

And now for a small question...

I am replacing the hearth under my stove (the old one was scary) and replacing the stove. The manufacturer states in the manual "stove may be instaleed on a combustible floor provided non combustible ember protection is used". So would 1/2" durock plus tile be ok (or 1") or do I need to start layering sheet metal and micore in with it? The manual does not list a specific R value.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

If it states ember protection only, that's all you need. Durock and tile would be fine, assuming you're satisfied that it won't flex and crack under the weight of the stove.
If you give your specific stove model, someone should be able to give assurance about not needing any R value.

Thanks for the reply.

We're looking at a Pacific Energy Summit, Summit Classic, or T6, not sure which (advice anyone...). Will be using something (3/4" subfloor?) underneath for support. Just worried about the R value component.

Thanks
Chris

Make sure you have the correct thickness of non-combustible surface needed. I think my stove required 5". (that was either the manual or my town code, I forget) Anyway, just make sure you have the required thickness between your stove and the floor. I ended up stacking the durock sheets on top of each other until I made it to 5" and then tiled that. Had I the spare cash, I would have just bought one of those pre-made pads. Would have been a lot easier.

Penny

If the manufacturer's documentation for whichever stove you choose says simply that non-combustible ember protection is required and specifies no r-value (or k-value) for the floor protection, then that's that. Your plan of a flat 3/4" panel covered with Durock and then tiled exceeds the requirement and would be fine, so long as it extends out from the stove at least the minimum distance all around. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.