New guy with Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarem

Jul 20, 2008
Central PA
My first post. I've been reading, and learning, for some time now and have a few questions.
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new stove. I had a few Harmon's available in some local shops, XXV, 69's, 61's and the advance.
I've since decided to go with the Summers heat 49-SHCPM for 2 reasons. First, I'm very handy with tools and electricity so I can troubleshoot
and repair most problems if they arise. Second, the price is a little better than the big boys out there.

My house is a contemporary unit with a great room. The room is 15 x 45' long, kitchen attached on one side and has a balcony above in which the bedrooms reside.
I have 2 ceiling fans in the great room which circulate the air very well. I'm planning on placing the new stove in the corner of the far wall, nearest the kitchen.
I'm counting on the system to be my main source of heat, backed up by a 40k Propane stove in the kitchen, backed up by the Old oil baseboard system.
The 40k btu, non vented propane unit in the kitchen will take my home to 80 degrees in the middle of the winter. I'm looking to size the new unit where it won't be burning on high all day or drive me out of the house.

Do you think the 49-SHCPM is to much for this set up?

Does the 49-SHCPM have a Hi-Lo thermostat controlled function?

Do you have a different choice of stove in mind?

One great thing about pellet stoves is they are perfectly content burning on LO 80% of the time and that 20% when it gets REALLY freaking cold you can run it on HIGH. Bigger unit usually give you a bigger hopper and less reloads. Also give the extra capacity for the really cold nights.

Status
Not open for further replies.