new guy would appreciate help on new installation.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
want to add a woodburner to supplement my cellar-located yukon husky oil fired wood burning furnace. here are the pertinent facts:
full-log cabin of approx.1150 sq.ft. half loft with 20 ft. ceiling in great room. furnace not getting it done on the colder days here in n. ky.large stone fireplace in great room. tile lined. sucks the heat right up the chimney (of course!). want to put a woodburner on the raised hearth w ith the flue pipe running up the chimney. have a good ceiling fan in the great room that would push heat down from above. loft not used much at all-just a repository for the good wifes crap.two bedrooms and a bath plus great room with kitchen extension are all that are on the main level. full basement below. cabin is about 28x38 inside.
any ideas/suggestions for a reasonably priced efficient,attractive stove and related installation costs? local dealers are jammed up on installations for about 2 mos. i plan to buy the unit locally if i can and find an experienced installer- craigs list?? would i need a chimney liner or should i have the flue run directly up the existing chimney? any ideas? any and all help would be greatly appreciated. art

Welcome artmos. Yes, install a liner in the chimney. Fireplace chimneys have much larger throats than what would be properly sized for a woodstove (6" round). Your setup sounds perfect for a Woodstock Keystone. But there are other stove possibilities. We'll need to know some dimension of the fireplace opening and the current hearth depth to be sure it will fit. Pictures are always helpful.

The liner can be installed safely by a certified CSIA chimney sweep in your area. He will determine whether it should be lined or not. Or, if you are reasonably good with tools, you could install it yourself. I would not get a random person off of craigslist to do this. There are safety issues involved. Regardless, you will need a sweep to clean the flue before installing the liner. Plan on adding a block off plate at the damper level to reduce masonry heat losses.

Here are a couple places to check for a local, certified chimney sweep:

http://www.csia.org/default.aspx?tabid=174
http://www.ncsg.org/HomeownerResources/FindaNCSGMember/tabid/61/Default.aspx

thanks for your reply. it's a good start. art

Welcome to the forum Art and good luck with your stove install!

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.