New Guy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckarotka

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Northwest PA on the lake
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum but been burning wood for a while now. Quick background: I live in a lake effect snow zone off Lake Erie, avg winter temp i would say 0-30f it varies alot due to the lake. I'm heating a 2200 sqft ranch in the shape of a horseshoe very difficult to move air laterally. I have a forced air system that I use as a secondary heat source mainly when nobody is home. Electronic timed thermostat for the furnace to run a 58f till I can start a fire.

I run a small stove in the front of the house and an insert in the back. The stove I installed about four years ago with all new components single wall to triple wall etc. This stove works good for its size, very small fire box, not a long burn time but does its job. The insert in the back has seen better days and this year upon inspection I felt it was time to replace it. I acquired a used "little buck" stove in good shape. I cleaned the whole thing very well, replaced every gasket and gave her a fresh coat of paint. I still need to order some new knobs but it will function just fine.

Now to the questions. The old insert was a slam install from previous owners, I had no problems with the chimney just the "not so air tight" insert. I regularly sweep both chimneys and burn correct wood and temps. This "new" buck stove is now installed the same way. I would really like to line the chimney but the cost is just out of reach for a few months. I am capable to do the install myself but I need oval pipe 6.5x11 to get by the damper area. I will need about 17ft with the adapter for the top of the stove. Any preference to brand I should look for? And who would have the best price?

Also anyone have any tricks to moving heat around a ranch? I will sometimes run just the blower on the furnace to move air but it doesn't really move heat. I will be purchasing a heat reclaimer for the small stove in the front of the house to help out blowing heat down a hallway to the kids rooms. Any other ideas???? (I do use just oscillating fans to help out)

Thanks in advance for all the replies.
Charlie

Attachments

• fireplace.JPG
    fireplace.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 210
We don't like heat reclaimers?? The theory sounds good, is it unsafe or other major problems??

Thanks

I did the search and finally found non-biased opinions. Most opinions or reviews came from a sales website with rave reviews, I had some doubts about reducing the pipe temp. I feel that my money will go towards a blower unit on the stove, just my opinion. I appreciate the help with 3 small kids in the house and bedrooms at the far ends safety is as always an issue.

Thanks

ckarotka said:
I did the search and finally found non-biased opinions. Most opinions or reviews came from a sales website with rave reviews, I had some doubts about reducing the pipe temp. I feel that my money will go towards a blower unit on the stove, just my opinion. I appreciate the help with 3 small kids in the house and bedrooms at the far ends safety is as always an issue.

Thanks

Good decision!

Shari

Welcome to the forum ckarotka.

I agree that the heat reclaimers will rob needed heat from the chimney and I've never seen any that were worth a hoot. However, it has been some time since I've seen one but it would take a lot to change my mind.

I also agree that rather than trying to blow warm air to the cool room, do the exact opposite. I've heated with wood most of my life and that is the number one thing I learned here on hearth.com. It sounds wrong, but it works great! Give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.