New Guys Intro and FPX 36 Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxTrotBoogie

Oct 8, 2015
Cincinnati, OH
Hey Guys,
First time post, but I've been lurking around for around a year or so. My name is Justin. I live about 25 miles east of Cincinnati. I'm not a newbie to burning wood for heating, but I guess you could say I'm a newbie at doing it correctly.
Anyhow I started lurking around here when I was looking for ways to fix my builders box junk fireplace. Soon learned an insert wasn't a possibility not only because of size constraints, but also safety. Did some lurking found out about high efficiency zc inserts. Which took me to a few local stove shops, and finally down to two choices the Lennox montecito and the fpx36. Ultimately chose the fpx because of price, better reviews, firebox size, and what seemed to be a more friendly stove shop.
Any who here are some pictures from the install process that isn't quite finished yet.

BTW Thank you to those frequent posters who ultimately helped me a ton on this project.
IMAG0077.jpg IMAG0096.jpg IMAG0097.jpg IMAG0098.jpg IMAG0101.jpg FB_IMG_1446821573151.jpg FB_IMG_1446821589801.jpg IMAG0107.jpg IMAG0108.jpg IMAG0109.jpg

Reactions: kennyp2339
Looks like you've made some great progress there. How's it heating?

It heats my 1800 sq ft ranch with no issues. Even with less than stellar 25%MC ash it will run the thermostat up to mid to upper 70's with the blower set as low as possible. Went from the thermostat being set at 65 and $350+ electric bills to $100 electric bills and being toasty warm! I am more than happy with FPX!

Reactions: webby3650
Looks great.
Did you have to replace the chimney liner?

Liner was replaced. It was in bad shape, and for piece of mind sake. I had a chimney sweep come and set the fireplace and run the new pipe. If I was to do it all over again I'd just buy the pipe and do it myself. It was $2200 for just pipe and install. It didnt look like anything I couldnt handle

Looks great, are you going to mount the TV above the stove? BTW, I did and have no issues with heat or anything whatsoever...

Looks great, are you going to mount the TV above the stove? BTW, I did and have no issues with heat or anything whatsoever...

Yea, that's the plan. I've had the thermometer on the door to 600 degrees and it wasnt noticeably hot above where the mantle will be. One day I'll finish facing it with some stone, and rough cut me a wrap around mantle out of some honey locust.

Status
Not open for further replies.